Saturday, October 02, 2004

Fetal Fotos

Let me just say this place was awesome! They have centers all over so if you are interested in an ultrasound, check out the website and find one near you.

About the visit. We got there right on time, filled out the paperwork. Basic information about your doctor, if you had any previous ultrasounds, due date, etc. Also, the waiver saying they don't do any medical diagnosis and that if in the future it is found that ultrasounds are bad for you or the baby you won't hold them responsible for this one. We also had to pick our package. There were 4 choices. The basic 2D package, which included a regular 2D ultrasound, a 10 minute video of the scan set to music, 4 B&W white, pictures, and a report for the baby book for $100. The 3D package, which included everything in the basic, plus a 3D scan and a couple of 3D pictures to take home as well for $159. The 4D package, which basically added the 3D portion of the scan to the video. And added a couple more pictures for $179. Then the Premier, which included the scan on DVD, a bonus grandparent video, a bonus "First Impression" kit (to make imprints of baby hands or feet and I think a frame or something for $250. Anyway, we decided to do the basic. The 3D pictures freaked Eric out a little and we really just wanted to see the baby again and be sure it was really a girl. So we paid our $100 and they took us back. Oh yeah, I'd been getting lots of kicks and movements the whole time in the car, so I was so afraid that we'd get in there and baby would think it was nap time.

The room was nice and big and they had a nice matress type thing for me to lay on. There was a big TV mounted on the wall, so if you had a lot of people with you they could all see. The room was dimly lit it reminded me of going to a spa. Then when they were about to start, they turned on a nice lullaby music soundtrack. She asked me how far along I was and if we wanted to know what it was. I told her 29 weeks and that my doctor had said girl, but didn't give us a 100% and we were a little nervous since we had already painted. I also asked her to find out what is on my right side. I kept getting "kicks" and lots of times, I feel some baby part sticking out over there. She looked at my belly and said that from the looks of me, she guessed that the head was down with the spine along my left side, the butt up top and the hands and feet hanging out on the left side, but we'd check it out.

We started the scan and she started the video tape. First we checked out the spine and it was where she promised along my left side. She checked out the base of the head for hair and saw a bit of peach fuzz. We checked out the actual chest cavity and saw the heart beating away. Then she turned on the sound and let us listen to it for a minute. Next we spent a whole lot of time up by the face. We got several good shots of the face and profile. Next she moved down to the butt to get a look at the "parts." She said, that's she's most definately all girl. Yeah! This time it was really clear to me. She pointed out what makes it a girl and the parts that would definately not be present if it was a boy. This time we got a 99% certainty number. The room stays purple and Grace she is. After getting two good shots of her girl parts, we went on down to the feet. They were together right where I've been getting kicked alot. I think she likes to stretch her legs and that's when I get a foot sticking out of my side. It's so bizarre, but I like knowing what I'm feeling. (She's doing it again right now!) After the lower side, we went back up to the face. She looks like she might have my nose and it was fairly prominent in the profile view, so hopefully it's not abnormally large when she comes out. We also got to see her open an eye and open her mouth. She kept moving her head around and she likes to suck on her hands. She kept putting them in front of her face and we got to see her put one directly into her mouth. It was so amazing and as Eric kept saying, she's so beautiful. Then things got really cool. The woman stopped our video, but still had some time left, so decided to see if she could get us a good 3D shot. Remember, we only paid for 2D. She only tried to get the face. We did get a couple of good angles of parts of her face. Her little cheeks are so chubby and we got to see her perfect little lips. We never got one of her face completely, because one side was up against my placenta and that kept causing distortion of the 3D image. What we did see was really cool though. I can't wait to see her in person.

Then our time was up, so she helped me wipe all the gel off and got us our pictures. She gave us 10, not 4 of the 2D portion. Eric said, "I thought we only got 4," and the woman said she doesn't go by those rules. She also gave us 3 of the 3D face pictures in black and white. They didn't turn out as well as they looked on the screen, but we didn't go in for that, so I'm not complaining. They gave us our video, a little report saying we had one, live, baby girl in the vertex position and a letter to give to my doctor about the visit. We were so excited walking out of there. We watched the video again already.

That's about it, but it was well worth the trip.



2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, Jennifer, what a wonderful experience!

Mrs. T said...

That is so awesome and I'm so happy for you. I bet you feel much better about the purple room upstairs now, too! Obviously you recommend it then, but would you say wait til your 3rd trimester? You better bring it to GWO in a few weeks b/c I can't wait to see it!