Monday, October 25, 2004

Weekend Update

Boy, coming back to work after vacation is tough! I worked until 7:00 p.m tonight. I have a meeting tomorrow morning (the team is meeting at 7:30 a.m. for breakfast and pre-meeting discussion), but it wasn't scheduled before I left and I had to get prepared today, plus the 137 e-mails I had waiting...

Anyway, about the weekend. Friday, Eric and I had a "date" and went to dinner at Texas Roadhouse. I'm not sure if it was the pregnancy or what, but we had great service. When we checked in they asked if we wanted "first available." We weren't in a hurry, so we requested non-smoking. We didn't even have to wait, they just took us to our table. Then our waitress was super attentive and made sure we got our food and anything we asked for really quickly. After dinner, we decided to go walk around the new Super Wal-Mart for a while. Eric bought a football, just to have one. Then we went to the 9:40 p.m. showing of Friday Night Lights. Supposedly, it's the best football movie ever made. It was good, but in my mind had nothing on Remember the Titans. After the movie, we just came home and went to bed.

On Saturday, we left for my Grandma's at about 12:30 p.m. The drive over wasn't too bad. We got there around 4:00 p.m. Jeremy was there and we visited a little. Grandma made a ham for dinner and my Uncle Bob came over to eat with us. We had dinner and then Jeremy, Bob, Eric and I played a couple games of Euchre. After Bob left (around 9:00 p.m.), Jeremy played some games on his computer, Eric started watching the World Series, and I worked on my cross-stitch that I brought with me. Eric fell asleep by 10:00 p.m. I made it another hour and then we headed to bed. Grandma and Grandpa had to be at church early to unlock the doors, so they left around 8:00 a.m. Eric and I got up then and after getting dressed and packed headed to town. Before we left we took a couple of pictures with Jeremy too. We stopped at McDonald's for breakfast with Jeremy and then dropped him off at the church. We then left for home and made it back just after 2:00 p.m.

The visit was short but good. Jeremy doesn't talk a whole lot, but we did get to just hang out with him and it's tough to know it'll be a year and a half before I get the chance to see him again. He'll be leaving for his U.S. base on Friday.

After we got home on Sunday, we realized that the Colts game was actually on normal TV and in high-def! My plan was to nap while Eric went to BW3s to watch the game, but since he stayed home, I decided to just rest on the couch and watch the game with him. Unfortunately, they lost. After the game, Samara called and I chatted with her for a bit, then we showered and headed to our first Childbirth Education class.

I was so excited about the class. It actually went pretty fast and I think will be good, although, I'm a bit more nervous about birth now, than I was before the class. We went over the different phases of labor (early, active, transition, and pushing), and the changes your body goes through for labor. The different stations, effacement, and dialation. We also watched 2 different birth videos. One was not very graphic, but the second one definately showed more than Baby Story does. These were also unmedicated births, so these women definately seemed to be having some pain. The look on Eric's face was priceless. He also has said that he doesn't think we should follow the rule of "contractions 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for an hour" before going to the hospital. He said as soon as I start having discomfort we're going. He couldn't believe these women going through early labor at home. I may have to be the strong one. At the end of class we also went through a relaxation exercise. They turned down the lights, played some yoga-type music, and the teacher went through the "you're walking through a meadow" type visualization. I've never been very good at those visualizations, but Eric gave me a nice shoulder rub through the whole thing, so I definately relaxed. There are 4 other couples in the class. We all are having our first babies. Out of the 5 of us, 4 are having girls and the other couple doesn't know. My due date is somewhere in the middle of the group. We have 1 due on December 7 (she's breech right now though, so they may do a C-section on 12/3), 1 due 12/29, 1 due 12/30, and then a Japanese couple that just said they are due in December. One of the other couples was extremely funny. I don't think the teacher really enjoyed all the wisecracks, but Eric and I were certainly cracking up. Maybe we'll talk to them more over the next couple of weeks and come out of this with some new friends with a newborn. Next week the big thing is our hospital tour. I'm sure there was more that we'll be doing, but I didn't write it all down. Overall, it was a good class and I'll be excited about going next week.

No comments: