Sunday, August 01, 2004

20 Weeks, 1 Day - The Twenty-first Week

My Symptoms & Rambling Thoughts
I feel good. Except for the occasional headache or bout of heartburn, I feel very...normal. I am thinking this pregnancy thing isn't so hard...ask me again in three months. I am amazed at the amount of movement I've been feeling over the last week. It was like once I was sure I felt her, she moves all the time. I love it. It's still move vague rumbly feelings than distinct kicks, but I get some of those too. Now I just can't wait until they get a little stronger and Eric can feel them too. I'm also more adjusted to the fact that we're having a girl now. I don't know why, but for some reason a daughter seems like so much more of a responsibility to me. I don't know why. Maybe because I am a woman and rather than just nurture and provide for a child, I have to be an example of what she should be. I'm not sure I'm up to that. I know I always looked at my Mom as a shining example of what it meant to be a good woman, wife, and mother. I hope my daughter can see me that way. I guess maybe this is why my Mom spent so much time praying and talking to God. I'm going to need some serious help. One more tidbit before I get into developmental stuff. Today at church we sang Amazing Grace. One portion of the verse really touched me, even though I know that I am not taking it as it was written, bear with me.

"Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
and grace my fears relieved.
How precious then, that grace appeared,
the hour I first believed."

Thinking about my pregnancy and experience. I just pointed out how becoming a mother has added some fears to my experience. But, knowing that I will have my Grace is such an amazing source of joy. The best part is the end. I got pregnant when I decided to let God take back control of my life. "How precious then that Grace (my child) appeared, the hour I first believed (gave it back to God)." Maybe it's hormones, but it brought a tear to my eye.

One more thing, I love it when Eric asks me how his daughter is doing. Doesn't daughter seem so much more "real" than "baby?"

The Baby
Your baby is getting larger in this first week of the second half of pregnancy. It now weighs about 10.5 ounces, and it's crown-to-rump length is about 7.2 inches. It is about the size of a large banana.

It’s about 14 ounces and a hiccupping fool! Yep, hiccups are those little jerky motions you may feel -- it’s her little lungs practicing the important task of breathing.

Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long. His eyebrows and eyelids are fully developed. And you can certainly feel him move. He's oblivious to your schedule, though, so don't be surprised if he starts working out just when you're settling down for the night. If you're having a girl, her vagina is formed now, though it will continue to develop until birth.

Your baby can still move all over in the amniotic fluid. Towards the end of this trimester the baby will begin to settle, usually in a head down position (Although some babies do not turn head down until late in the last trimester.). About 3-4% of babies will remain in a breech position. Your baby weighs just under a pound (13 ounces or 369 grams).

The Mom
You can feel your uterus about half an inch above your bellybutton. At the doctor's office, your uterus measures almost 8.5 inches from the pubic symphysis. Your weight gain should be between 10 and 15 pounds. By this week, your waistline is definately gone. Your friends and relatives - and strangers, too - can tell you're pregnant. It would be hard to hide your condition.

You’re probably finally showing. As you begin to get bigger and bigger, you may wonder about the safety of traveling while pregnant. Here are a few tips:
- I f you’re traveling by car, take a break every hour to keep your circulation up!
- Always use your seat belt. Buckled low on your lap, it should cause no discomfort and may save lives -- the lives of both you and your baby.
- Travel in the final month ONLY if you are prepared to have your baby on the road. In any case, check it out with your caregiver first.
- Airplane air is very dry. Keep yourself hydrated by dosing yourself with water and juice throughout the flight (no alcohol, but that should go without saying!).
- Many airlines require a doctor’s note if you are traveling in the third trimester. Call the airline to determine the policy, and call your doctor to find out the recommendations BEFORE you buy those non-refundable, non-changeable tickets.

You're probably feeling pretty comfortable these days. You're not too big yet, and the usual aches and pains associated with early pregnancy are, for the most part, gone. Relax and enjoy it while you can — the third trimester will bring some mild discomfort from carrying a baby who is nearly full-term.That's not to say you don't have some minor glitches to deal with now. Increased oil production may have given you a mild case of acne, for example. If that's the case, be diligent about washing well with a gentle soap and water twice a day, but don't take any oral acne medications — or even use any topical acne products — without checking with your practitioner first.You're also prone to varicose veins now (especially if your mom has them). That's because pregnancy puts added pressure on the veins in your legs. (Your blood volume is increased and your uterus puts pressure on the inferior vena cava, the large vein that returns blood from the lower half of your body to your heart.) As if that's not enough, an increase in the hormone progesterone causes the walls of your blood vessels to relax, so as your baby and uterus grow, the veins can become more and more prominent. Varicose veins tend to worsen with each pregnancy, and while they're most likely to show up in your legs, they can also appear on your vulva.If your legs ache, put maternity support hose on first thing in the morning. Increasing your circulation with a brisk walk each day can also help, as can elevating your legs and sleeping on your left side with your feet propped up with a pillow.

Everyone is probably telling you what sex your baby is using different myths! Some people find this fun, other find it annoying. Using things like how you carry, the Chinese Gender Chart, or other myths are fun, but not always accurate. Have you decided whether you want to find out the gender of your baby? There are many things to consider before doing so, and still your baby may not cooperate.

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

A chill went through my spine when you talk about Grace and how it came to you through God and then the song. Wow! I never thought of it that way! I'm so happy for you in so many ways!