Saturday, August 07, 2004

Registering and other Baby Tasks

I thought I should maybe give an update on what baby related tasks I've completed. Things are starting to get more real and I think it's sinking in that in about 4 months, I'll have a new baby at home! There's a lot to do to prepare. We kind of waited on a lot of it until we knew what we were having, but now it seems like we're in full swing. Here's what we've done.

1. Ordered crib and dresser - We did this at the beginning of July, but it should be arriving soon. I can't wait!
2. Purchased fabric for curtains - Samara is making curtains for Grace's room, so last weekend she and I picked out the fabric. She has it now and is planning on getting them made maybe this weekend. I'll post pictures when they are done.
3. Picked out paint colors - We haven't actually bought paint yet, but we have decided on a color. I'll probably do picks after painting.
4. Cleaned out Room - We still have to get the bed and dresser out of the room, but everything else has been cleared out. I even have baby outfits hanging in the closet.
5. Officially registered for Daycare - We dropped off the check to reserve our spot for February this week.
6. Picked out a Glider - My Mom and Dad have already told us they want to buy us this, so today we officially confirmed which one we want. It is so nice, and should match the wood of our furniture. Today we had to just check and make sure the ottoman was included (it is!). They are going to give us the cash and let us go pick it up, since it would be too difficult to transport at showers, etc. I tried to find it online, to link to, but it's not there.
7. Registered - We did this today. It was so fun, but overwhelming. I kind of felt bad scanning so many items, but we do need all the stuff. We spent about 3 hours at Babies R Us. All of our big items are there, but also lots of mid and lower priced items too. Probably my favorite (and most expensive) is the Travel System (Stroller & Carseat Combo). It's so nice. Then we had lunch and went to Target. We were such pros that it only took us about 20 minutes there. Target has mostly lower priced items. We may have to go in and update again. For example, I didn't register for any wipes. I'm sure there are other items we missed. Also, we didn't really register for any outfits. We picked lots of onsies and sleepers, but figure people will buy us the cute clothes, right? Both registries should be available online. I would link, but I don't want to put our last name on here. If you know me, you can figure out how to look it up. The cool thing about Babies R Us, is that even if people don't have one near them, they can look items up online and then either purchase and have shipped to us or they can call the store near us and purchase over the phone and then the store will call us and tell us we have a gift to pick up. That way the buyer doesn't have to pay for shipping. That seemed cool to us.
8. Bought a lamp - After registering at Target, we were looking around for more grown-up items and in the furniture section happened to find a duck lamp! It was the rice paper kind, but only $10, so of course we had to buy it. I didn't get a bulb though, so it doesn't work yet, but it will be very cute.

I think that's about it, but we're on our way. Now I'm excited for showers and to start actually bringing some of this stuff home! I know we'll probably get some of it ourselves. For example, once the crib and dresser arrive and we have the painting done, I'm sure I'll want to get some of the bedding and crib mattress that we registered for. I don't want to wait for the shower for the nursery to start looking like a nursery! Don't worry, there's still plenty more for other people to buy us.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I received a mysterious package earlier this week. It came in the mail in a padded envelope with a return address of James Schmidt in Sarasota, FL. It was a book called "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy (old host of MTV's Singled Out). It's a pregnancy book and actually very good, but I don't know where it came from. It reminded me of how something arrives that you buy on E-Bay, but I didn't buy it. There was no note or anything either. I'm sure someone must have bought it for me, but no one mentioned it to me. If you bought this book and had it shipped to me, thank you, but please leave a comment or call and let me know! Thanks!

Ok, that's about it for now. I'll update tomorrow with my weekly update including how I'm feeling. Remind me to talk about my belly button...

2 comments:

Kitten said...

Gosh!!! Did Eric think you had a new boyfriend in Florida?! I'm so sorry, I ordered it then forgot to tell you. Hope you enjoy, it was from me, not a weirdo down south!

Just a weirdo up north! ;)-Danialle

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the book! I figured it had to be one of you guys, but I kept forgetting to mention it. It was good. I read it in 2 days. Kelly at work had kept telling me she was going to bring it in for me to read, but then it just showed up! Thanks again!