Thursday, May 27, 2004

I Broke!

I know that everyone made me promise not to play with the Doppler until after my appointment today, but… It’s Eric’s fault! Actually, I wasn’t going to tell anyone, but the story is kind of cool, so I’m confessing.

I was expecting two packages when I got home from work. The Doppler was tucked inside the front door. My package from Erica was missing from the porch. I glanced next door and saw a package on the neighbors porch marked “Fragile.” I told Eric it was probably my box from Erica. He told me I couldn’t retrieve it until the neighbor came home. Apparently he didn’t want other neighbors to think I stole packages from doorsteps. So, the only one to open was the Doppler.

I only wanted to read the instructions, but the Doppler was right there on top. I picked it up and tried it out on my chest. My heartbeat started coming out of the speaker. Then Eric said, “Try me now!” We put it on his chest and had some difficulty hearing his heartbeat. Obviously, it was beating, so then we decided to use the gel it came with. That helped the transmission out and we could hear his heart beating. Then Eric said, “Now try the baby!” I said, let’s wait. At least let me go change out of my work clothes. He said, “No, try it now. Try it now!” So, we tried.

At first we couldn’t hear anything, but as I moved the probe around, I got a very strong signal. It was definitely a pulse. Eric and I both looked at each other like, “Is this it?” Then I realized it wasn’t especially fast. The baby’s heart-rate should be around 120-180 beat per minute. An adult heart rate is 60-90 beats per minute. This was definitely slower. Then I realized the probe was probably positioned right over one of the major arteries headed through the groin region on the way to my leg. I was hearing my heart-rate again.

Then we decided to listen to the CD of sounds and actually read the instructions. The CD gave samples of fetal blood flow, a 10 week heart-rate, a 16 week heart-rate, a 30 week heart-rate, placenta sounds, and mother sounds. I definitely hadn’t heard the baby. Eric went to play games and I went to make dinner. One of the tips was that a full bladder might help. By the time dinner was ready I was feeling “full” so I laid on the couch and tried again. Still nothing. I decided not to be concerned, after all the doctor said it might be too early. Only one more day until the appointment.

After I ate, I had to take some stuff upstairs and decided to take the Doppler and try one more time. On the way up the stairs I said a little prayer. “God, I’m not really worried, but it would be so great if you would let me hear my baby.” I took the CD with me and just listened to the part with the 10 week heart beat so I would have an idea of the speed I was listening for. I laid on the bed. This time…jackpot! It was the right speed and right in the middle, no chance of picking up a vein. (Thanks, God!) I went and got Eric and told him I thought I found it. He agreed! I even moved over, found my artery and then back to the baby. They were definitely two different rates. I ended up getting a good recording. I’ll try to figure out the downloading part in the next day or so.

I know everyone told me not to do it early. But, I have no regrets. I’m even more excited about today’s appointment. I am 100% sure that everything is fine and the doctor will have no nasty surprises for me today! I just hope we get to do an ultrasound now and see the little peanut! Although, even if we only get to listen, it’s a sound I’ll never get tired of. Hearing it on my own didn’t make it any less special. If anything, I know that I was the first person to ever hear my child’s heartbeat. Eric was close behind, but we got to share that ourselves, before the doctor is involved. Now she can do the medical part and tell us the rate, etc. etc. I’m on top of the world today. Come on 2:30 p.m. I’m ready for you!

2 comments:

Mrs. T said...

Danialle & I knew you'd break down and do it! :) I'm so glad it was a great experience for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited! You know, we only told you to wait so you wouldn't be concerned. I'm glad you broke down, what a great experience to share with hubby in the privacy of your home.

xoxo-Mistress