Friday, May 28, 2004

Accident

So, today's drama.

Our office closed early today for the Memorial Day Weekend holiday. I was leaving the parking garage at about 12:30 p.m. Now I should preface this by saying this parking garage is a little crazy. Some of the ramps are two way and people go around corners pretty quickly.

Anyway, I was coming around the last corner on the way down to the exit. And a guy driving an Infiniti SUV was coming around the corner on the way up. I usually do a pretty good job staying in my lane, so I'm pretty sure I was on my side, but he swung around the corner pretty quickly and hit my car. I saw him coming and almost stopped, but there wasn't really much I could do. The front of his car (left bumper area) hit my drivers side rear door and crunched it up pretty good. It also damaged the back quarter-panel where the wheel well is.

We had a very polite professional exchange of information. He didn't have his wallet with insurance information on him, so he had to call his Dad to bring it down. Apparently he works in the building in his father's law firm. There were two people standing in the area who we took names as witnesses, but I didn't ask them what they saw. I figure we'll let the insurance companies sort it out. He certainly wasn't admitting fault, but I gotta figure, even if I was slightly on his side (which I don't think I was) he should have been driving slow enough that he could have stopped before running into the side of my car.

I called Eric when we were done. He freaked out a bit and told me I should go to the hospital, etc. He was worried about the baby. I compromised and told him I would call my doctor and tell them what happened. If they thought I should come in or go to the hospital I would. Otherwise, I was fine. He agreed. I called and talked to the nurse. Being that it was a low speed impact (under 20 mph), the airbag didn't deploy, and I didn't hit anything (steering wheel, etc.) She said I should be fine. There isn't much she can do. She said if I started cramping or bleeding, to go to the ER, and if I was a little sore, I could take Tylenol or use ice or heat packs. I may be a little sore, but I think we're fine. I took some time for heartbeat searching this afternoon and the little one is still there beating away.

Now to just get my car fixed. Grrrr. I made a claim with my insurance company and have to take my car to the adjuster on Wednesday. Hopefully, they'll agree it was the other guy's fault and get him to cover my deductible. One more thing to do next week. At least no one was hurt.

No comments: