Monday, September 13, 2004

The Rest of the Weekend

The rest of my weekend was nice. I ended up seeing 4 girls from highschool plus 2 husbands from school. Wow, things have changed.

Saturday, I slept in a bit and ended up leaving town around 11:15 Ohio time. The trip was uneventful and I got to J's house around 2:00 p.m. Indiana time. I hadn't seen her since my wedding, so it was great to see her. We went inside and chatted a bit. I got to meet her three kids ages 6, 4, and 2. Motherhood is so great on her. I think she'd like more kids, but really doesn't want to take a chance on being pregnant again (more on that in a minute). It's funny what life does to us. Her first child was an accident happening her first semester of college with her highschool boyfriend. This time, things worked out. They got married are happy and planned #2, two years later. Number three wasn't quite planned, but that's where this story gets interesting. Apparently this wasn't an "easy" pregnancy. She'd had some complications like large amounts of unexplained bleeding and even one time to stop pre-term labor. The limit finally came one day (Sept.10, 2002) when she started having contractions again. Hoping a bath would help, J tried that, but quickly realized she needed to get to the hospital NOW! I'm from a fairly small rural town, but I can't imagine that she's more than 20 minutes tops from the hospital. It wasn't close enough. Baby number three was born while driving down the interstate in the family van. K weighed only 1 pound 12 ounces and by a miracle was actually somewhat breathing on her own. She would take a breath and then stop breathing, J would rub her back and K would take another breath. They did this all the way to the hospital and by the time they made it J had rubbed off the paper thin skin on K's back. The scar is still there. K was transported to larger hospital where she stayed for almost 3 months. Her due date was December 18. I saw pictures and more amazingly this 2 year old girl who is a bit small for her age, but otherwise perfect in every way. I guess it really affected me with the dates being so close. It would have been like me having Grace last week. She's still so tiny.

Anyway, back to the weekend. After visiting I changed and we headed into town to meet D, the bride-to-be. Again, I hadn't seen her since my wedding. We met at this restaurant/pub and waited on everyone to arrive and ate dinner. A stretch Lincoln Navigator SUV limo to seat 20 arrived to pick us up at 7:00 p.m. There were 14 of us going, so it was nice to have such a big ride! We headed to Indianapolis. Our first stop was a place called PT's which had a Male Review. Knowing some of my readers, I'll leave it at that, but I must comment that it was definately a bizarre place to be in my condition. Especially with the music being loud and feeling Grace kick along. I hope this doesn't mean she'll be a party girl. After the show we headed downtown to a club for some dancing. The place was ok and we did get some dancing in, but it made me very tired. We walked for a bit to look for another club to go to, but by this time, many of the ladies were about done for the night, so we called the limo back to pick us up. I was kind of glad, because I really needed to sit and rest. My sides were aching like when you have been running alot, and I don't really like any kind of achiness in the belly region.

We made it back to town around 1:00 Indiana time. We went back to J's and went to bed. I got to stay in baby K's room plus there were 6 baby kittens and mom in there that were feeling a bit playful, so I didn't sleep all that great. We got up around 8:30 and went to Denny's in Indy for breakfast with J and family. After that, I hit the road, came home and napped.

Overall, a good weekend and I was really glad to get to see everyone again. Oh yeah, I studied Sunday night for my CPCU exam which I took this morning and probably passed. Yeah! There's some stress off! Next tune in for the weekly update and more baby info!

No comments: