Thursday, July 15, 2004

Tales from the Office

I don’t post much about work. But, there’s been enough going on that I feel I need to make a comment. I’ll start by saying that I’ve been happy with my career choices up to this point. I work in Insurance and work for the largest Insurance Brokerage firm in the world. I majored in Insurance and Risk Management and actually moved to Columbus for this job. Over the last year I think I’ve found my niche in the company and have really gotten into a groove as far as my work. I love the work that I do, I’ve loved the people I work with, I feel challenged by my responsibilities, I feel that people appreciate my work and respect my knowledge, and I feel like this company is very generous to their employees (working hours, vacation, summer hours, pay raises, bonuses, etc.). However, in the last year, my particular office has been through a lot. We’ve had some management changes. One of the head regional people started his own firm and started picking off people to work for him. We’ve also faced a lot of competitive pressure from other firms. Our office has been hit really hard lately. We’ve lost some key business and even more key people. Yesterday, I overheard someone say that we’ve lost 23 people since January. This office had about 60-70 people at it’s peak and currently has 52 employees. Obviously, we replaced some of the people, but in other places we have big holes.

About a month ago, after a trend of losing business to competitors, they had a reduction in staff of 8 people to help “cut expenses.” One of those people was a very good friend of mine and an extremely hard worker. It seemed really unfair how random the reduction was. I know I could have picked some other people that would have been better choices in my mind. Anyway, things kept plugging away, and then last week, another very key senior person left to go to a competitor. I was surprised and disappointed, but what can you do? Then yesterday, my direct supervisor quit to go to the same competitor. I took it really hard. I’ve worked really closely with him for the last year. He is a really great guy. He was a great boss. He always made sure to challenge me and let me prove I could handle assignments. He was really accessible when I had questions, and I was thinking of him as a mentor. He’s a pretty young guy, and has advanced pretty far pretty quickly. I consider myself bright and was hoping under his guidance to follow a similar career path.

Anyway, now he’s gone and we have to pick up the pieces around here. I’m still a bit in limbo. Every account that I work on, he was also involved with. Some of them are really complex and he did most of the big picture work while I assisted and learned, and others he let me run with and just backed me up when I had questions or needed help. Now, I’m not sure what will happen. With another year of experience, I might have been able to step in and say, “I can handle all this. Let me take over his book of business.” But, I don’t think I’m quite ready yet. I’m hoping they’ll give me a bit more responsibility and let me learn what I haven’t yet on the job, but with all the turmoil in the office, they may want to bring in a more senior person to make the client more comfortable. I’m only 25 and in this business, I’m a kid. Clients want a little grey hair on the account and if we walk in and tell them I’m handling it, I’m not sure they’d all see it as a positive. Not to mention I’ve got a 2 month break coming up in the future.

I’m not really sure what my future holds right now. If they make cuts again, I think I’m safe, but if not…I could find another job. I’m qualified and educated and I do know a lot of people at competitors. I’m hoping the people here will see this as an opportunity and give me the chance to step up and show I can do more. Or, I could be getting calls from those competitors myself offering me another opportunity. Long term, I believe this is a great place to be, but I’m also craving a bit of stability right now. I guess for now, I’ll keep coming to work. I’ll do my job to the best of my ability and see what happens next.

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

Wow! Jennifer, that is crazy what's happening at your office. I know how it feels when people around your are getting laid off as we both know. I'd just keep chugging along and see 1) what happens w/ your bosses position and 2) if you do get a call from the competitor. You never know, your old boss may give you a call once he gets settled. I think all companies get in a rut, which makes their employers very uncomfortable, so just hang in there and see what happens. Even if the unthinkable happens and you get laid off, which I don't see happening from what you say, you do know several people in the competitor area, so I doubt you'd be out of a job very long. They'd probably pick you up in a heartbeat!