Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Overdue Update

I know you must all be wondering where I've been, but I've just been busy and somewhat neglecting my blog. I just came off of a wonderful long weekend, and I'd love to share.

Friday our office closed at noon. I had a little more to do, so I stayed until almost 1, than left to go to my dentist appointment. All looks good, although we skipped the x-rays and he told me that my gums may become more sensitive and bleed during pregnancy. Friday was the Columbus Red-White-and-Boom fireworks display. Things were already getting pretty crowded downtown when I left at 1 p.m., so we weren't really interested in messing with traffic and the crowds to head back downtown. We grilled hotdogs and hamburgers and Martin came over (April was out of town). We attempted to see the fireworks from the deck, but trees and houses were in the way, so we headed back inside to watch them on TV.

Saturday, Eric and I decided to go order the crib. We decided to buy the one from the store here in town. It's a little more expensive than some of the online stuff I found, but I've seen this furniture in person and know it's quality. We ordered the crib which will convert to a toddler bed, the side rails to convert to a full size bed, and a 4 drawer dresser. We debated on going with a three door dresser which we could have used as a changing table buy putting a pad on top, but thought the larger dresser would be more useful in the long run when the kids are using it as "grown-up" furniture. Everything should be in by the end of August. After the crib, we did a little car shopping. We looked at some SUV's and even test drove one, but we're trying to be smart this time, so we haven't made a purchase yet. Also, the cable company came and installed our cable internet.

Sunday after church I did some major cleaning. The house really needed it. After cleaning we also decided to move the main computer to the basement. Ever since we've been running both the X-Box Live and Internet, we've been having computer issues. I think the cable will help with the speed over DSL, but we still were having problems with the Wireless adapter. The cable modem is connected to the cable line in the basement (as we don't have cable upstairs except in the master bedroom), so we had to put the router in the basement. This meant the X-Box was connected by ethernet cable to the router and the computer upstairs was connected with the wireless adapter. We tested both and had them working. Three hours later...I couldn't get on the Internet. The X-Box, however, was working fine. As we've already replaced the wireless adapter once, plus had to reset and reconfigure the router several times, we decided we're tired of it, so we returned the wireless adapter, moved the computer and desk to the basement and have both hard wired to the router.

Monday was a holiday and we treated it as such. Eric and I slept until noon. We then just hung out and decided to have a date night. We went to Wendy's (really exciting) and then played a couple of games of Putt Putt. It was fun.

Tuesday I also took the day off work. Eric is taking the whole week off. We spent the day visiting daycares. We visited four. I think we may have found one. It's the one right behind Eric's office. For me to look back and laugh later, I'll include the cost. It's $185 per week. Not the cheapest one we've found (although we visited the cheapest), but also not the most expensive. We sat down with the owner and were really impressed by her. They've been in business 15 years, several of her employees have Masters degrees, her infant teacher has been there 7 years. They only take 5 infants at a time, so there isn't too much stimulation for the babies. They have developmental activities and make sure the babies spend time (supervised) on both their bellys and backs. When the babies are awake they play music, talk to them, hold them. Bouncy seats are only used during feedings and the child is never in one for more than 30 minutes straight. They put the babies on a regular schedule for feedings and sleeping. I've heard that's really helpful when your at home and on the weekends to know that the babies are used to eating and napping at certain times. I think this is the place. We'll visit again before the baby starts, but I think it's a definate possibility.

Ok, that's what I've been up to. Now read this weeks baby update. I think I may have some interesting news.

No comments: