Monday, July 26, 2004

19 Weeks, 2 Days - The Twentieth Week

My Symptoms
I feel big.  I think I've gained a pretty good amount of weight this week.  I'm waiting a couple more days to do pics and measurements in case it's just left over from my weekend, but I don't think I have to worry about not gaining enough during this stage.  I'm also officially feeling movement.  I'm still pretty sure I felt it a couple of times over the past two or three weeks, but some of it was probably gas or hunger.  If you read my weekend post, you'll know that I'm sure I felt it on Saturday.  Today was even more confirmation.  I think since I sit alot at work, I'm more apt to notice it.  I was a little slow in going to lunch, but I was sitting at my desk trying to get a few more things done.  I had my chair pushed in and my belly was touching the desk.  I felt two distinct thumps from inside.  I know that wasn't my stomach growling.  Then the rest of the afternoon, I kept feeling little nudges.  Not so much tonight, but I'm sure it'll just get stronger the next couple of days and weeks.  I've also been getting heartburn more.  Nothing too serious, but it helps to remain upright after a meal.  Laying on the couch after dinner is bad.  Last thing... only three more days until the ultrasound!  I'm really excited.  I'll post on Thursday, but will probably call most people first.  I need to get my call list together.  Here's what all the books and websites say is going on this week.  By the way, I'm still a definate innie.

The Baby
At this point in development, the crown-to-rump length is 5.6 to 6.4 inches.  Your baby weighs about 9 ounces.

Your bun in the oven is "half-baked!" All the pieces are there and, if it’s a girl, she’s growing her vagina this week!

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom, and about 10 inches from head to heel. (For the first 20 weeks, we use measurements taken from the top of the baby's head to her bottom — known as the "crown to rump" measurement. After that, we use measurements from head to toe. (This is because a baby's legs are curled up against her torso during the first half of pregnancy and are very hard to measure.)A greasy white substance called vernix caseosa coats her entire body to protect her skin during its long submersion in amniotic fluid. (This slick coating also eases the journey down the birth canal.)Your baby is swallowing more, which is good practice for her digestive system. She's also producing meconium, a black, sticky substance that's the result of cell loss, digestive secretion, and swallowed amniotic fluid. This meconium will accumulate in her bowels, and you'll see it in her first messy diaper (although a few babies pass it in utero or during delivery).

Lanugo forms from sebum and skin cells to create vernix. This creamy white substance is believed to help protect the baby inutero. It will cling to the lanugo and in the creases. This is also something that can be seen sometimes after the birth. Rumor has it that nursery nurses use it for hand lotion, because of its smooth, protect quality.  You may be aware of sleep wake cycles in your little one. The weight is now up to 10 ounces (283 grams) and the baby measures about 25 cms total length, about 9.8 inches.

The Mom
Congratulations - 20 weeks marks the midpoint, and you're halfway through your pregnancy!  Your uterus is probably about even with your bellybutton.  Your healthcare provider has been watching your growth and the enlargement of your uterus.  Growth to this point may have been irregular, but usually becomes more regular after the 20th week.

Some women experience temporary vision changes during pregnancy. If you wear contact lenses, they may become uncomfortable for you because of the increased fluid in your eyes. Don’t buy an expensive pair of glasses now -- your vision will revert to its normal condition once baby is here.  Your belly button may become an "outie" as the uterus presses on it from behind. Some women swear that putting a Band-Aid on it helps keep it from brushing painfully against their clothes. Worth a try!

You've made it to the halfway mark — Congratulations! The top of your uterus is at the level of your belly button now, and you've likely gained about 10 pounds. Expect to gain an average of about another pound each week from now on. (If you started your pregnancy underweight, you may need to gain a bit more; if you were overweight, perhaps a bit less.) Make sure you're getting enough iron, a mineral that's used primarily to make hemoglobin (the part of your red blood cells that carries oxygen). During pregnancy, your body needs more iron for your developing baby and the placenta, and to keep up with your expanding blood volume. Iron-rich foods include lean red meat, poultry, fish, lentils and other legumes, spinach, and iron-fortified cereals.

POP! Your belly button may pop out and stay that way until delivery as your uterus presses upwards. Some people will have trouble breathing as their lungs become cramped with the internal organs. This will usually continue until the baby "drops" or engages into the pelvis. In a first pregnancy this will generally occur 4-6 weeks before your birth and with subsequent pregnancies not until you are in labor. There is a trade off once the baby "drops." You will have to urinate more frequently, hard to believe, eh? Remembering to do your pelvic tilts prior to laying down will hopefully allow you a few more minutes of rest before the next bathroom break.  You are half way through your pregnancy! Congratulations!

2 comments:

Kitten said...

My guess is a girl. Any other guesses?

Mrs. T said...

I have to guess a girl, too. Somewhat b/c of Ava Chu, but also just b/c of my internal feeling...