Thursday, September 18, 2003

Week ?

Today was my first prenatal visit. I've been looking forward to this visit since I scheduled it 4 weeks ago. However, the actual experience wasn't as great as I had hoped it would be. I've had a little time to reflect and think I'm handling things much better now, so I wanted to make sure I journaled this, so I wouldn't forget anything.

Eric and I got to the appointment 30 minutes early as requested and filled out the 1 form that wasn't sent in the package in the mail. We then sat down and only had to wait about 5 or 10 minutes before they called me back. Eric got to wait in an exam room while they took my weight, blood pressure, and a urine sample. Apparently that will become a regular thing. Then I went to the exam room and answered a couple of questions for the nurse. Then the doctor came in and took my information about the date of my last period and told me that she was going to take a few cultures (in an internal exam), do an ultrasound to check my dates, and then take blood for all the other tests. She asked us if we had questions for her yet, which we didn't. I just thought I'd see what info we were given at the first visit and then start making lists later. She said that the vitamin I've been taking is ok, but that she would give me some samples of prescription ones that I could take. Then I got undressed and ready for my exam and they were doing a vaginal ultrasound. The exam went fine, and Eric stayed safely by my head. When she started the ultrasound, it was cool that we could see this gray spot in the middle of this black sac of fluid. I was of course looking for a heartbeat and was a little concerned that nothing seemed to be moving. The doctor didn't say anything at first, and then said that what she was looking for was a heartbeat and she wasn't finding one. Then she clicked on the spot to take some measurements and said that I was only measuring at about 6 weeks. She finished up that ultrasound and went and looked at the calendar. She said that at 6 weeks she thinks I conceived around August 9. She also said that that timeline matches up well with when I got a postitive pregnancy test. She could tell I was very concerned and said that if I was measuring at 9 weeks and she couldn't find a heartbeat that she would be concerned, but at 6 weeks it may just be to early to see it. She decided to set me up for another appointment for an ultrasound next week to check and see if we have made progress and growth, and hopefully to see the heartbeat.

I'm a little confused about the dates. Saying I conceived around August 9th (six weeks ago), to me would mean that I'm 8 weeks along, which would make sense to me, but she said that I measured 6 weeks, which (to me) would mean that I conceived around the 23rd, which is when I got a positive test and wouldn't be possible, so I'm a bit confused. Thinking about it too much makes me worry, so I'm just going to go with the doctor, that I'm just off and everything is fine and pray that next week at the appointment we have sufficient growth and see that precious heartbeat. Another positive note is that I haven't had any negative signs such as bleeding, spotting, or cramping. The human body is an amazing thing and I have to believe that if there was a problem, my body would be taking care of it.

So, when I got home I was very upset and thinking the worst. After a discussion with a close friend at work by phone, I decided not to go back to the office, as I would have been a mess and not very productive. I called the nurse to ask about how the weeks were counted. While her answer didn't really help, she did say she talked to the doctor and she said that the sac and everything else looked fine. I also took another pregnancy test when I got home and felt a little reassured when it was still very positive.

On another note, I did remember to ask 2 questions at the doctor. Number 1, I asked how frequently I get to have ultrasounds. Not counting next week, she said that my next ultrasound will be at 32 weeks. She doesn't do the early one at 20 weeks where you can tell the sex unless there is some problem or concern that she feels it's necessary. I may try to talk her into doing one earlier, since my insurance will pay for it. We'll see. Number 2, she assured me that I am probably going to have a large baby. She said that the baby's weight usually cooresponds to the mother's birth weight. I weighed 9 pounds at birth and Eric weighed 9 pounds 13 ounces. She said, "Sorry sweetie." She did say that that would be an advantage to the 32 week ultrasound, because they could get an estimate of the baby's weight and know if it looks like it's heading for the large baby range.

Well, that's enough for now. My next ultrasound is Friday next week. I just have to try not to worry until then and say some prayers that next week it will be bigger and hopefully we'll get to see that heartbeat!

No comments: