Saturday, September 20, 2003

I'm feeling much better today than I did on Thursday. I went back to work on Friday with a positive attitude and trying to believe that the only thing wrong was my timing. A couple of people at work knew what had happened and they tried to make me cheer up. They asked me if the doctor did an HCG Beta blood test. The test measures hormone levels in your blood to make sure the pregnancy is viable and is progressing properly. I knew they took a lot of blood, so I called the nurse to ask if they did the test and if so, could I get the results. The nurse called me back and left a message saying that Dr. DeAngelo didn't see much value in the test once you can see something on ultrasound and so they had not ordered it. She told me if I wanted it done, they could call the lab and ask them to do it, but I wouldn't know the results until Monday and would also have had to get blood drawn again on Saturday or Monday to compare the levels to. We played a little phone tag, as I called and left another message for the nurse asking when they do find the test valuable and why exactly it wasn't a good test for me. This time when she called me back we got to chat and she explained that they use the test early in pregnancy before you can see anything by ultrasound to make sure that the baby is growing and the pregnancy is progressing. Once they can actually see the baby, however, ultrasound is a better tool. They can see my baby, so she didn't order the test. I accepted that and then reitterated my concern over how they count the weeks. This time I got a much clearer response that when they measured me they were measuring weeks of fetal growth. So when she said 6 weeks, she did mean from conception, so the dates she gave me for expected conception were accurate. That means according to the pregnancy books, when you add on those 2 weeks at the beginning, I'm actually around the 8 week mark. This is only 2 weeks off of what I thought. That makes a whole lot more sense to me and makes me feel a whole lot better. She again assured me that for that measurement the heartbeat thing was normal, and that everything else looked healthy and like it should. Now I just need to wait until Friday and have it all confirmed by another ultrasound.

No comments: