Saturday, April 01, 2006

Back to School

I have now completed my first week of class in my med school pre-req project, now to be known as (MS-PRP). Tuesday I was almost late for class. Parking is a nightmare and when I eventually found a lot that had spaces and walked to my building it was right at 5:30 p.m. I planned ahead and brought a sandwich and apple that I ate in the car on my way. Sitting in that class room brought back alot of memories. The teacher seems cool, but I can tell my five years of "real world" experience has changed my prospective. He is an older gentleman (been teaching 41 years) and keeps trying to make jokes, but no one laughs. I try to at least smile at his jokes. In the office environment and your in a meeting and someone cracks a joke, you at least acknowledge it (even if it isn't very funny).

We spent the first hour or so of class going over the syllabus. I got a little freaked out because all the stuff we're covering in the first 3 chapters and first mid-quarter exam should be review from our last chemistry class (which since I got the pre-req waived, for me, was in high school about 10 years ago). He was also saying that everyone in the class was pre-professional meaning you don't take this chem class just to fill a science requirement. It's only for those going into medical, dental or pharmacy school. Again freaking out a little. He also said that while this is a 2 day a week class, we should plan on studying every day. (Hmmm...do you think Grace can help with flash cards?) The last important thing was the exam schedule. I think I'm fine for mid-quarters, but the final is on June 6th and the syllabus says no early exams are allowed. (This date is bad for me, as I'm supposed to have a business trip to Finland that week!) After class, I asked him about it and he confirmed that no early exams are allowed. What to do?

After these discussions, he started to lecture and then I started to
relax. I've decided to take it one class at a time. While he was lecturing some of the things started to sound vaguely familiar and the stuff that wasn't familiar was easy enough to understand. While I may not remember everything, I am a quick learner, so if I pay attention in class and do the required reading and assignments, I should be ok.

I actually was late for Thursday's class. I made it to campus and parked fine, but then I stopped by the bookstore to buy lab goggles. Then I went to the lab, because during Tuesday's class Mr. T (my teacher) had said that he would prefer lecturing in the lab on Thursday's since we wouldn't have to change rooms after the first hour. No one was there. Then I checked the room from Tuesday and there was a different class in that room. Finally, I looked at my sheet and went to the room that the class is scheduled in on Thursday's. Everyone was there and the lecture had started. I found my seat and tried to catch up on my notes. After 50 minutes of lecture we went over to the lab for a Safety lecture and check in. It actually took almost 2 hours. Labs should be fairly fun, although I may need to bring a change of clothes so I don't screw up my work clothes. I also don't think I should wear my wig in the lab since it's synthetic and could have reactions to heat or a weird chemical spill. Now I have to decide if I go all natural for lab or bring a cap or scarf...After class I stopped by to run the idea of a late exam (Friday instead
of Tuesday) by Dr. T. He, however, has a business trip to Tokyo leaving Wednesday that week. However, he did say that I could take a make-up exam after the quarter ends. If I do that, he'll have to submit my grade as-is at the end of the week, then when I make it up after the quarter, he'll submit a grade-change request and change my grade. That scares me a little, but I really don't want to miss my opportunity to go to Finland on the company's expense. In a couple years, my opportunity for free world travel will probably come to an end.

I've got some homework to do this week. Reading a chapter or two of my text. Reading the lab book intro and first appendix and then doing my pre-lab assignment for next week. Our first exam is April 13th. It feels so weird to be a student again, but I've got to do my best.

No comments: