Monday, March 27, 2006

Tidbits

Lots of mini topics to discuss...

Bathroom Woes
I think I mentioned in my previous post about the project my Dad started in my bathroom. One thing he kept mentioning was that eventually I'd need to replace the tub surround. After some discussion, Eric and I decided that we'd do it now and tile the bath/shower area. After all, we needed to prime and paint and replace the tile trim around the surround anyway. So, Saturday we trekked to Lowes and bought all of our tiling supplies. Eric's Dad (who has some tiling experience) is coming to visit in two weeks and we thought he could help with the hard parts (i.e. cutting tiles). To prepare, though, we decided to go ahead and remove the surround, spackle and sand all needed area, and prime and paint. Then the project kept getting bigger. When Eric removed the surround we found some moldy looking spots on the drywall around the tub. Once we found it we decided we would have to replace it, and believe it or not, it doesn't seem like that will be too difficult, so we think we can do it ourselves. Since we're going to replace it, Eric decided to go ahead and pull it off. Guess what, more mold. This time in the insulation. Luckily, it doesn't appear to have damaged the studs, so this should be it. So, in the next two weeks we need to replace the insulation and drywall around the tub. Prime and paint the walls and be ready to begin tiling. Guess what our weekends will be filled with?

Wig/No Wig
Sunday, I decided to go wigless for the first time in public. My hair is really growing back and now just looks like a really short boy cut. I'm really self-concious though and decided church was a good place to start. I got several compliments and more than anything people understood. Then it got interesting. We needed to get the spackle (for project above) and stopped by Lowes after church. I didn't want to mess with getting Grace out of the car, so I ran in to the store while Eric waited in the car. My new fear? Instead of people thinking I was a cancer survivor (as I assume they do when I wear a scarf or turban), they now probably are thinking I'm a butch lesbian. That would be my first thought seeing a woman walking through a Lowe's store alone with a buzz cut. Nice.

Grace's New Chair
One of Eric's co-workers gave Grace this glider.

She loved it and spent all weekend trying to figure out how to get in and out of it. She had to do everything in her chair.


Ice Cream
Sunday when we were putting groceries away Grace was playing in the freezer. You know, taking things out as I was putting them in. Well, I stopped watching her for a moment and then looked back to find this.

She's a girl after my own heart.

Working Parts?
I thought I was doing good regarding keeping the possibiilty of fertility, because I continued to have my period somewhat regularly the whole time I was doing chemo. However, my last period started on January 21, so the last dose seems to have knocked my girl parts out of commission. Added to the fact that I started having hot flashes, I was pretty sure I was doing the chemical menopause thing. Of course, I'm still hoping it's temporary because I REALLY want more babies. Last week, on Cycle Day 64, I thought AF was showing her face, but it seems to have been a false alarm. Just a couple of days of super light spotting. I'm hoping this means my parts are trying to get back to working. They've still got some time before I need them fully functioning, but I'd be happy to know they are working before I need them. Infertility isn't fun.

Back to School
Tomorrow I start my chemistry class. I'm scared and excited all at once. I told Eric today that I was afraid to fail, but that isn't exactly true. I'm a smart girl, so I know I won't fail. I think I'm more afraid that I'll get a "B." I know that sounds a little petty. I think it'll be tough to get into med school. Right now I have a 4.0 from my previous college work. Since these classes are the science ones and thus more important to the schools than my degree classes, I need to do just as well in these classes. Oh, the pressure.

Ok, time to go relax on the couch and dare I attempt to go to bed early? We'll shoot for an update after class tomorrow (or maybe on Wednesday).

2 comments:

Lisa said...

As my husband always says about our "projects" around the house, "Over time, over budget!" It's kind of a joke we say around here. Hope you don't find any more suprises in your bathroom!

Congrats on going wigless! That's a very brave thing to do. That's wonderful that it is growing in nicely.

I LOVE Grace's glider. She looks so darn cute curled up in her special chair eating her snack!

Brrr! Get that girl some mittens to play in the ice cream!

Sounds like the spotting definitely means things are trying to get back on track in there.

Good luck with your chemistry class. I am sure that you will get nothing less than an A!

I just realized that it's been WAY TOO long since I've last commented on your blog. I promise to do better!!!!!!!!

Have a good week!

VJ said...

Just checking in.

I love the glider. What a cute chair! I have not seen a child's glider before. Too cute.

The ice cream picture is precious. My son absolutely hates anything cold. It always makes me laugh when I ask him if he wants ice cream. He always replies "No mom. It's cold!"

Best of luck with your new class.

Vicki =)