Saturday, February 11, 2006

Chemo #6 - In the Books

It's official. I'm finished with my chemotherapy! Hooray!

Thursday night we had some trouble heading to bed. Danialle got in right around 9:30 p.m. and when she got in we watched some TV and talked and ended up staying up until around 1 a.m.

Friday morning Grace woke up on time, so I got her ready and sent her to daycare with Eric. Danialle and I sat around and chatted for a while and then I showered and we dressed. We headed to First Watch for a big breakfast and then on to the doctor's office. This time I was back in the main office which I thought would help with the overcrowding problem at the branch office. Turns out I was wrong. Unfortunately, it must mean there are alot of people with cancer that need treatment.

We got to the office on time, but had to wait for a while in the waiting room. We were able to pass the time though. They took me back for my vitals and accessed my port. Once they got the needle in, they flushed it like normal, and saline shot out the side of the tubing where it connects to the needle. Turns out I got a defective one, so they had to take it out and re-access me. Fun. Then Danialle and I waited a little more until they had an exam room ready for me. Dr. Y came in to chat. They had printed out my scheduled appointments and they had me down for 2 more rounds of Taxotere, so I asked about that and confirmed that this was the last one. It is. I also found out I have the next two weeks appointments for my CBC and Herceptin. After that, I shouldn't need CBC's as often because the Herceptin doesn't affect my blood count. In three weeks I'll just do Herceptin and then go to a three week schedule. I also asked about getting in to discuss the Genetic test. He said they'll schedule me an appointment (although I forgot to check on it when we left). I also got my CBC results and found out my Hemoglobin count was back up, so I didn't need another Procrit shot.

After meeting with the doctor we had to hang out for a while until a chair opened up (they have 8!). I didn't have to wait too long before I snagged one. The chairs were full the whole time and I know they at least had 2 people getting chemo in exam rooms. Danialle hung out on the floor by my chair. There were 2 nurses administering drugs, but even then to wait a while before they got me started. I don't remember when they hooked me up, but I'm thinking it was at least noon. We ate some food they had in the office, we made a grocery list, flipped through some magazines and I took about a 20 minute nap. I finished up at 3:00 p.m. (just over 4 hours after my appointment time).

Once we left the office, we were hungry so we went to Chipotle and had a burrito. After that, I got a second wind, so we went to the grocery store and got my groceries for the week. We got home at the same time as Eric and Grace. We just hung out for the rest of the evening. We watched some stuff we had on the DVR and chatted again. Again, it was really hard to stop talking, so we didn't go to bed until after 2 am.

This morning, Grace didn't get the memo that we needed to sleep in. She started chatting at 6:30, but I didn't get up with her until 7:30 a.m. She's back down for a nap now, but I'll have to get her up soon. No real plans during the day today. We'll play with Grace and once Eric gets up (yes, he's sleeping in today), I may take a nap. Tonight we have a babysitter lined up and we're going out to dinner to celebrate with Will and Samara. Seems like the weekend is too short, because tomorrow Danialle is going back to Chicago.

No comments: