Thursday, February 09, 2006

Check-up with Dr. L

Today I had my 6 month check-up with Dr. L. It hasn't been quite 6 months, but that's ok. I love Dr. L. While she tends to talk fast and gets through the appointment quickly, she does it in a way that makes you feel like she cares about you and how you are doing. She came in, hugged me (which was slightly awkward since I was wearing my paper vest), and told me she liked my wig. She also told me that she thinks I always seem to be handling things really well. That I have a great attitude and she thinks that helps. She said that I look great and I told her I feel good too. Overall, things haven't been that bad. Chemo wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. And it's almost over! She said radiation will be a breeze compared to the chemo. The rest of the appointment is outlined below.

General Checkup
- We reviewed my mammogram, we couldn't see much because I have dense tissue, but it looked fine
- Breast Exam - Dr. L noticed my scar area was "thick" but that's how it's been healing and I told her it doesn't feel like it's getting thicker if anything I feel like it's getting thinner. If that changes, I'm supposed to let her know
- She wants to see me again in August for my 1 year follow up and will have me do bilateral mammogram, right breast ultrasound, chest x-ray, and blood work in preparation

Radiation
- I will do it downtown at the hospital, so it is close to my work
- I have a referral to meet Dr. B for a consultation on Wed. 2/15
- She usually recommends starting radiation 1 month after finishing chemo, I am guessing I'll get my official schedule next week when I meet with Dr. B

Exercise
- No restrictions on what I can do
- She doesn't have a problem with me lifting weights, although she said I may "feel it more" because of the port
- She thought it was a good idea and asked me to lose 5 pounds by August. I said, "no problem." She doesn't weigh me though, so I don't think that was an official request

Overall, a good appointment. In less than an hour, I'm going to pick up Danialle. She's staying for the weekend and tomorrow we'll go see Dr. Y and have my last round of chemo!

No comments: