Friday, January 06, 2006

Those Crazy Buckeyes

I grew up in small town Indiana. Maybe it was just my town, but in my recollection, the only college sport anyone remotely cared about was basketball. College football was just something to be endured until basketball season started. Well, things are a bit different in this town.

Football season in Columbus is crazy. People in this town love their Buckeyes. On the Friday before a game, you see people in Scarlett and Grey wherever you look. My office is known to have several “tailgate parties” each season on game Friday’s. We can wear jeans before big games. (I’m not even sure how many alumni are actually employees). One employee gets on the intercom and sings the fight song each Friday. If you are crazy enough to try to eat at a Bar & Grill on gameday, your lucky to get in. The crowds are red and white, and it’s easy to get the whole place into a chant of “O-H” “I-O”. Yes, this town is crazy about those Buckeyes. The radio station creates multiple tribute songs each year. Store employees dress up on game days. Even Wal-Mart sells Ohio State crib sheets in the baby section. And don’t even get me started on what happens to you if you where Blue and Gold (the colors of the hated school up North (Michigan).

So, now football season is over. Ohio State won their bowl game on Monday. The National Championship Game was played on Wednesday. This town can get back to normal, right?

Last night one of the late news headlines, “317 Days until Michigan.” Tell me I’m dreaming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only person that can see this madness from the outside looking in!

By the way, you forgot to mention the Live TV Coverage Count Downs that begin days in advance.

I was shocked, on Tuesday I was in my car for a whole 5 minutes before hearing about "the game". The Buckeyes are to Columbus what deer hunting season is to central Indiana.

- Riley

Anonymous said...

Well, Indiana is a huge basketball state too. It's been like that this year in Indianapolis with the Colts and everything but granted, it's a professional team, not a collegiate team! I'm sure that if Purdue was actually good it would be similar to that in West Lafayette...but probably not that bad. As Erica, she could tell you. :) It is definitely crazy though that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

The same thing happens in reverse in southeast Michigan. People plan their lives around Michigan football, most especially that OSU game every November. I heard a national football commentator say there just isn't a greater rivalry between any schools in any sports than Michigan/OSU football!