Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Busy, Busy - Weekend and Doctors

So, I've had a pretty busy week. I'll try to break it down for you.

Thursday - Including Doctor Appt.
Wednesday (my chemo day) Grace was running a fever on and off all day. At 4:30 p.m. it was back up to 102 degrees so I called the Dr. H (Grace's pediatrician) to see if they wanted to move up her Monday appointment to Thursday. They did and we had a 9ish appointment. Of course, no fever present, but she still sounded a little congested and we thought the Augmentem should have been knocking out the strep, so they did a repeat chest x-ray and blood work. They also called Children's to get her paperwork on the her bloodwork from her discharge. Late afternoon we got a call saying the chest x-ray showed the pneumonia was gone. Blood results on Friday.

Friday
Pretty lazy day. Grace seemed much better. I called the doctors office at the end of the day and they told me her blood work was normal and they thought she was on the right antibiotic based on the hospital sensitivity tests. They still wanted to see her again on Monday though.

Saturday
The morning started out awesome, because Mom took the baby monitor Friday night and let Eric and I sleep in Saturday morning. We got up around 9 a.m. Then we were starting to get a little stir crazy, so when Samara called and offered us a trip to the mall, we thought it sounded like fun. I had some Christmas gifts to return although I didn't have much luck. Mostly we just walked around. I think Grace enjoyed a change in scenery and I'm sure my Mom did too. I was very good and only bought the cutest pair of shoes for Grace at Children's Place. I did use a coupon though and they were just $13. Late afternoon we headed home so Grace could nap. Then Eric and I had a date! I love when Grandma's are around to babysit! We went to Champps for dinner and used are Christmas Gift Certificate from Will and Samara. Then we went to the movies and saw Memoirs of a Geisha. Eric let me pick it and it was totally my kind of movie. He said he liked it too, so we were pretty happy. I think I'll try to make it one of my books to read this year for fun. I'm sure the book would be even better. They usually are.

Sunday
Eric and I went to church while Mom stayed home with Grace. I was really tired though, so after we got home and had lunch, I took a nice long nap. That was about it for the day.

Monday - More Doctors
Monday was very busy. Mom was flying home, so I took her to Bob Evans for breakfast before heading to the airport. It was yummy and I got to use another Gift Certificate! Grace and I dropped her off around 9 a.m. for her flight and then we came home and I let Grace take a 45 minute nap while I showered and dressed. Next we had a 10:50 a.m. appointment with Dr. H to check on Grace. No fever since Wednesday and her cough is much better, so she seems to be over her sickness. Barring any other complications we shouldn't have to see her again until our 15 month appointment. Good thing, we've already seen her 3 times in January. After that we went back home, I fed Grace her lunch and put her down for her afternoon nap. She slept from about 12:30 to 2 and then got up just in time for Sherri from church to pick her up. She went to her house to play while I went back for cycle 5 1/2 of chemo and Herceptin. I actually had a really nice appointment though. Dr. Y wasn't scheduled to see me, but he stopped by and was chatty and we talked a bit more about my med school plans. I think I'll be able to use him for a reference if needed. Once I was back in my chair I had a really nice chat with a black woman named Veronica. She told me about how all her hair fell out in one day and she praised God that it only took her 15 minutes to get all of her braids out instead of the normal 4 to 6 hours. We talked alot about attitudes towards cancer and how we both feel blessed for the things we do have even when it's hard. She's on the same treatment as me, but this was her 3rd cycle. I'm a few ahead of her. I also got to talk to a man named Gary that is in there most weeks. His diagnosis isn't so good. He'll be on chemo for the rest of his life. I told him I hope he has lots more treatments to go! He has a great attitude too. He's usually the first patient to arrive on his days and the last to leave, plus he takes home a bag that he has to wear for a week to continue getting chemo at home. Then he gets a week off and starts all over. See, it could be worse. I got home at about 5:45 p.m. and relaxed the rest of the evening. Fatigue.

Tuesday - More Doctors
Grace was awesome this morning. She woke up around 7:30 a.m. but was just chatting in her crib and I was tired, so I decided I'd wait until she started fussing to actually get up. She'd talk for a while and fall back to sleep, so I stayed in bed until 9:30 a.m.! It was awesome. I decided to get up and I went in her room to check on her and she was asleep, so I headed downstairs to eat some breakfast and wait on her to wake back up. Finally at 10 she got her breakfast too! Once we were both up I did some housework and took a shower. I had lots of energy today. I gave Grace her lunch around noon and then we hit the road for her post-op appointment at the Craniofacial Clinic. Her appointment was at 1:30 p.m., so I was concerned about her missing her afternoon nap, but they got us right in and out. The good news is that her tubes look great. The ENT wants to check her again in 6 months, but that's it. The bad news is that there's a small hole in her palate. I'm not sure how it got there. We haven't been making her wear the sleeves all the time, but I haven't seen her putting too much in her mouth. The doctor didn't seem accusatory about it. He didn't say she would need another surgery. He said for now, they won't do anything. As it continues to heal and scar tissue develops, it could close up on its own. If not, I'm not sure what the timeframe is to get it reapaired. They want to see her again in 4 to 6 weeks to see how it's coming. I pray that she gets a little scar tissue and this closes on it's own. I don't want to see my baby go through another surgery.

So that's about it. I'm going to upload some more hospital pics in Flickr for your pleasure. I've also decided I'm getting a little tired of doctors. In January I have been in some type of medical office 10 of the 24 days. Enough is enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow sure sounds busy. I don't know how you have the energy. I will say a prayer that the hole starts to close up on it's own.