Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Grace's Surgery

Tomorrow is the big day. Grace will have her cleft palate repair at 10:10 a.m. We have to be at the hospital at 8:00 a.m. She isn't allowed to have anything to eat after midnight. She can have water, apple juice or pedialyte until 6 a.m., although I don't think we'll get her up early just to give her a drink. Tonight she had a late dinner and had McDonald's for the first time. She had chicken nuggets and fries. She loved the fries!

I'm most nervous about how she's going to react. I'm slightly concerned about how fussy she'll be tomorrow morning since we can't feed her before surgery. I have no idea how she'll feel after surgery and I'm really concerned about the recovery period at home. First of all, I think the arm restraints will make her really mad. I'm also concerned about how she'll sleep since she usually sucks on her teddy bear arm while sleeping. Nothing like that will be allowed in her mouth after surgery.

Overall, though I'm hopeful. I think the tubes will help her keep from getting ear infections. The surgery will also help her later in speaking and even eating or drinking from a cup. She'll never remember any of it either.

We'll be spending the night in the hospital tomorrow night, so don't expect any updates until Thursday after we come home. Say a little prayer that Grace will tolerate everything well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thinking and praying for Grace and everyone else...

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,
There's nothing harder than watching your baby be in pain, even though you know it's the best for her. You and Grace are definitely still in our prayers. And if I remember right, you mentioned that Grace didn’t even cry with her last shots so we all know that she’s one tough cookie and will do just fine!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all and hope everything went smoothly today for Grace!

Anonymous said...

I hope everything went great and shes recovering well.

VJ said...

You and your family are in my prayers. I hope everyone is doing well.

Vicki