Monday, May 09, 2005

Weekend with Grandma and Grandpa

Wow, I've been a little slow on posting. Life is just going by at such an amazing speed. Anyway, I wanted to update about the weekend.

Thursday evening we took a family trip to Iowa to visit my parents. It was Grace's first plane ride. Packing was interesting, but we got everything into 2 checked bags, plus we carried on the diaper bag and gate-checked the stroller and carseat. Our flight left at 7:10 p.m. and connected in Cincinnati. On the first leg, it was time for Grace to eat, so we gave her a bottle during boarding and take off. After she ate, she just sat and looked around and was very good. When we were getting off the plane, I put her in the sling and kept her in there while we were at the airport waiting for our connection (except for the diaper change). She fell asleep before we boarded the next flight and didn't wake up until after we landed and had to put her in the carseat to drive to my parents.

Only my Mom picked us up at the airport because my Dad had class. By the time we got home and settled it was almost 11:00 p.m. Iowa time, so we put Grace to bed in a borrowed pack-and-play. She cried for maybe 10 to 15 minutes, and just as I was about to go get her to rock her to sleep, she fell asleep and slept all night. We watched the taped Survivor episode and then went to bed.

Friday morning Grace got up just after 6 a.m. We gave her breakfast and then Mom made us waffles. Grace started getting fussy around 8:30, so we took about an hour nap and then got up and had a bottle. After the second bottle we headed out for the day. First we stopped by my Mom's office to show Grace off to her co-workers, then we went to Tulip Time (a festival in Pella). Check out pictures below. We had a nice time there, but then headed home in the afternoon. Mom made us dinner, with steak, cottage fries, salad, and rolls. We did Grace's evening routine and she went to sleep with no crying. We watched National Treasure and headed to bed.


Grace and the Tulips


Grace thinks we're at Mardi Gras


Grandma and Grandpa


The Family

Saturday was a more lazy day. We got up early with Grace and Jeremy called around 6:00 a.m. It was nice because I got to talk to him for a little while. I think he missed us a little. I can't wait until he gets to come home and we can see him and let him meet Grace. Mom made a big breakfast (Biscuits and Gravy, Bacon and Eggs). Then Mom, Grace and I just hung out while the guys went fishing. After a couple of hours, we went to watch for a little while and Grace got to see Grandpa catch a big fish.



Once the fishing was done, we let Grace take another nap while the guys showered and then we went to DesMoines for the evening. We ate at Champps and then walked around the mall for a bit. Grace got a couple new outfits (surprise!) and then we headed to Best Buy and got her a CD of silly kids songs. We listened to it on the way back and got back and put Grace to bed while the adults hung out a little while longer. Grace got a real kick out of my Astro, the family dog. He kept jumping up on my Dad's lap and she would just giggle. She thought it was hilarious. He'd get down and do it again, and apparently it never got old. He did it probably 20 times.

Saturday night was not so good for Grace's sleeping. She got up 4 times and I would rock her back to sleep. I didn't feel right letting her cry at their place. Around 4 a.m. my Dad got up and volunteered to hang out with her if she got up again and let me get some sleep. I gladly accepted. Mom fed her around 7:00 a.m. and I decided we needed to get up and pack. We left for the airport around 8, got there at 9, and our flight left at 10:30. They wouldn't let us use the sling on the plane on the way back, but Grace still fell asleep on the flight and it was fairly peaceful. We were delayed for an hour in Cincinnati, but made it home by 3:30 p.m.

Grace and I took a quick nap and I fed her and then we decided to go out to eat for Mother's Day. We went to Texas Roadhouse and got in within a reasonable amount of time. After dinner, I came home and went through Grace's evening routine and Eric went to the store to get me a Mother's Day card. We spent the rest of the evening watching TV and relaxing.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

LOVE the pics. The one with Grace & the tulips is so beautiful. Grace is gorgeous & getting so big!