Monday, May 23, 2005

Weekend with the Family

I had a great weekend. I've got some great pictures too, but I seem to have temporarily lost my camera. I took a picture this morning so it has to be somewhere. I'm hoping Eric decided to take it to work to show off some pictures. He's not home right now to ask.

Anyway, Friday we were very effecient and left town around 5:30 p.m. We drove for an hour and then stopped for dinner for all of us. After we got back in the car Grace fell asleep for the rest of the time. We got to Grandma and Grandpa's at about 9 Indiana time. Mom, Dad and Jeremy had went out to see friends, so they weren't home yet. We let Grace sleep in the car seat while we brought everything in and settled in. The rest of the family got in a little while later. Mom immediately got Grace out of the carseat and woke her up. She was in a great mood though. Jeremy wanted to hold her right away and I got a good picture of them together. Grace stayed up for about an hour, but then she had a bottle and we put her in the pack-n-play. She fell asleep with no crying.

Maybe it was the extra hour she was up, but she slept until 6:15 Indiana time. We got up and hung out for a little while until we left for the Bridal Shower. The shower was very nice. We got to eat Mexican (yum) and Melissa got lots of nice gifts. She looked so happy. I'm very happy for her and hope I can make it to the wedding at the end of July. We also got a very nice 4 generation picture with my Mom and Grandma. After the shower we stopped by an old friend from church's house. She wanted to see Grace in person. During this visit, I was distracted by a phone call from my friend Meg at work. She had a baby boy! After the visit, we stopped by the grocery store to get supplies for dinner. Then we went home and Grace napped while we made a couple of dishes for dinner. Later that evening we had a family dinner. My aunt, uncle and 2 cousins from Illinois came over, another uncle, another cousin, my pregnant cousin (37 weeks), her husband, and nephew. One of my other cousins had twin boys on Friday, so it was a weekend of babies (but not Samara's yet). We stuck to our bedtime routine and after a bath and story, she again went to bed with no crying. She did wake a couple times in the early morning hours though.

Jeremy seems to be doing well. He had a long slide show of pictures from Iraq. It's a little weird to see pictures of my baby brother with a big gun, but I think he's really proud of what he's doing. I don't think I've ever really accepted the fact that he's grown up too, but this weekend it struck me that he's a man now. It was strange to me that he was so interested in Grace, because I guess I thought he wasn't much of a kid person. He's an uncle though. Uncles have a special role. It will be his job to tease her and make her laugh and be the silly guy that doesn't enforce rules like eat your vegetables and no candy before dinner. I think that really means something to him. I hope they can spend more time together when he gets back.

Sunday we got up early (thanks Grace) and after a 5:30 a.m. feeding Grace and I took an hour nap. Then we got up and visited while the rest of the family got ready for church. They left for church, we fed Grace and hit the road.

Sunday afternoon, I met up with Samara at Babies R Us. She is really ready for Bean to just get here already. She walked and played with Grace and I shopped! Grace got a new high chair (I have a picture) and some new sleepers and a big girl toy giraffe. Then an exciting thing happened Grace's gums started to bleed. Now I feel bad that she was bleeding, but this means a tooth should be here anytime! I keep checking, but nothing yet.

I'll post pictures later (assuming my camera isn't permanently missing).

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Hope you find your camera soon, can't wait to see pictures. Is your brother going back to Iraq? If so, for how long? That is great that you all got to spend some quality time with him. If you talk to him again before he leaves tell him your friends in blogland will be praying for him ;)