Thursday, November 11, 2004

Stress at Work

I don't really like stress, but sometimes it finds me.

There is a whole collaboration of things at work that are causing me to feel a bit stressed. I can't go into too much detail for the sake of being annonomous, but I would like to get some thoughts out here. Anyone who doesn't know me, but could do a little research could probably figure out where I work after this post, but anyway...

Things causing me stress at work:
1. My company was recently brought into huge lawsuit at the corporate level. Most of the things the lawsuit alleges are industry practice and would therefore effect our competitors as well, but right now, we're the only ones in the limelight. This lawsuit has caused us to stop doing one of those industry practices which will cost our company approximately $500 million in revenue this year.
2. As a result of above mentioned lawsuit, the corporation has been making various management changes and this week decided to lay off 3000 employees (2200 from my part of the company). The effect on my office was the loss of 2 people. Luckily, I am not one, but we just had a RIF (Reduction in Force) a couple of months ago due to more local competitive pressure. It doesn't seem fair to have to do it again. Corporate has said this may not be the end. They will re-evaluate after first quarter next year.
3. Suddenly, every one I work with has realized that I will be leaving soon. This means that I have had many "team meetings" to discuss open items and have a whole lot on my plate that needs to get finished or resolved before I leave. The fewer items I leave open, the less chance that someone else will have to figure out what was going on. The ideal would be that the people covering my accounts should just deal with new issues that arise while I am out, not complete items that were open before I left.
4. Some of these projects are big. Many of them will take a lot of time. I don't know how much time I have. Realistically, I can probably count on at least 2 more weeks. After that, I could have another 3 to get to my due date, but after 2 weeks, I'll be in the "anytime" category.
5. I am a bit of a perfectionist. I don't want to let anyone down, and thus I want all of these loose ends tied up in that "guaranteed" two week time period. I don't want to take the chance with those next 3 weeks.

I may spend the next two weeks working long hours and maybe, just maybe a little weekend time. The bad part about that is I still have some stuff to do at home. I don't want to spend my nights and weekends at work. I'm having a baby soon and I want to prepare at home or at least enjoy these last few weeks of relaxing on the couch when I feel the urge.

There's no real point to this post, but to vent a little. I will try to take it easy as I know stress isn't good for me or the baby and I certainly don't want to put myself into labor early! I still take lunch and get up and take breaks on occasion. Unfortunately, the only way I'll truely be able to relax is to get the stuff done. I have one person who has volunteered to go ahead and take some of the work before I go (she'll be covering one of my accounts). I'm going to let her. I certainly have enough on other accounts to stay busy. So, friends, don't worry too much about me. I'll be ok and when I'm off work, my goal is to forget it all. Someone will pick up my work...they have to.

No comments: