Sunday, November 21, 2004

36 weeks, 1 day - The 37th Week

My Symptoms
I've felt pretty good this week although I've been much more aware of all the pressure I've been feeling down below since I know I'm dialating. Unfortunately I think my stretch marks have gotten a bit darker. I'm also noticing the line down my belly. I thought maybe I was imagining it before, but Eric pointed it out this week, so it must really be there. My belly button has about 1/2 way popped out. The top half sort of popped, so now it's almost completetly flat on top, but the bottom is still inside. I've noticed, especially at night, that I get really uncomfortable and feel a lot of pressure just after I empty my bladder. Not really sure why, but it's hard to go back to sleep right afterwards. I've noticed a little bit of swelling in my hands, not so much in my feet. I wear my wedding ring all the time, but I have a ring I wear on my right hand when I go to work or out. The last couple of days I've noticed a line around my finger when I take that one off. That must mean my fingers are swelling right? I could feel a lot worse and I keep going back and forth about whether I'm ready for Grace to come right now or wait a while. Some people told me that they only thought I'd make it another two weeks. That seems a little soon, although at times I think I really want it soon. I at least need to wait until after next weekend. I think I can get most of my work stuff done this week and the rest of my home stuff should be done by the end of next weekend. So if she could wait until sometime in December, we'd be happy. I also feel like we could go right up until the due date, although we'll have to see if I opt to be induced a day or two early if that's the case. For now, I'm ok with waiting around this week. I'll give you another update after my Wednesday doctor's appointment.

The Baby
Your baby weighs almost 6.5 pounds. Crown-to-rump length is 14 inches. Its total length is 21 inches. Your baby is continuing to grow and to gain weight, even during these last few weeks of pregnancy. The baby's head is usually directed down into the pelvis around this time.

Your cherub is approximately 5.5 pounds and 19 inches long. This baby is just about done growing inside you. That means it could be anytime now!

Congratulations! Your pregnancy is now considered full term — meaning your baby is developmentally ready to handle life outside the womb. (Babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 weeks are post-term.) Your baby probably weighs a little over 6 pounds at this point and measures between 19 and 20 inches, head to heel. Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children are born blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

Your baby is practicing breathing by inhaling amniotic fluid. Sometimes the baby will even get hiccoughs! Remember to feel these last few weeks of kicks, believe it or not you will miss them.

The Mom
Your uterus may be the same size as measured in the last week or two. Measuring from the pubic symphysis, the top of the uterus is about 14.8 inches (37 cm). From the bellybutton, it is 6.4 to 6.8 inches. Your total weight gain by this time should be about as high as it will go at 25 to 35 pounds. About this time in your pregnancy, your healthcare provider may do a pelvic exam. Your healthcare provider will examine your cervix at the pelvic exam. During labor, the cervix usually becomes softer and thins out. This process is called effacement. Before labor begins, the cervix is thick and is "0% effaced." When you're in active labor, the cervix thins out; when it is half-thinned, it is "50% effaced." Immediately before delivery, the cervix is "100% effaced." The dilatation of teh cervix is also important. It is usually measured in cenimeters. The cervix if fully open when the diameter of tehr cervical opening measures 10 cm. Before labor begins, the cervix may be closed. Or it may be open a little way, such as 1cm. The goal of labor is the stretching and opening of the cervix so the baby fist through it and can pass out of the uterus. The station is then determined. Station describes the degree to which the presenting part of the baby has descended into the brith canal. If the baby's head is at a -2 station, it means the head is higher inside you than if it were at a +2 station. The 0 point is a bony landmark in the pelvis, the starting point of the birth canal.

Have you discussed hospital procedures, including birthing facilities, IVs, shaves, monitors, pain relief, and enemas, with your caregiver? Do you know you have choices about many of these things? Look for answers to your questions (or ask one of your own!) in our Ask the Expert section, and if you haven't done so already, take the time to fill out the interactive birth plan. This is the best action you can take to insure you and your family will be in control of your birth experience. If you’ll be using a diaper service, arrange for predelivery. They’ll help you determine how many diapers you’ll actually need (it’s probably a LOT more than you think!) What about help after the baby is born? You don't have to be supermom. Ask a family member or friend to help out the days following your delivery or if you can afford it hire a domestic service. Childbirth is overwhelming and exhausting - take the time you need to recuperate and enjoy this special time in your life. Your uterus has grown from about 3 inches to a whopping 12 inches to hold your baby. Continue to do your Kegal exercises, at least 25 a day. They’ll help you in your recovery.

The next couple of weeks are a waiting game. Use this time to prepare your baby's nursery or to take care of tasks you may not get around to for a while after your baby's born. Take naps and catch up on your reading while you can. Have you noticed an increase in the frequency or vividness of dreams lately? Anxiety about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange pregnancy dreams. You may be getting a lot more Braxton Hicks contractions now, and they may last longer and be more uncomfortable. Sometimes — when they start to come frequently — you may even think you're in labor. You might also notice an increase in mucus discharge from your vagina. If you see some "bloody show" (the mucus plug tinged with a tiny amount of blood), labor is probably right around the corner! (If you have other spotting or bleeding, call your caregiver immediately.)

The pregnancy is considered a "term" pregnancy at this point and nothing will be done to stop labor in most circumstances. You should plan to take a tour of your birth facility if you have not previously. If you are having a home birth try to invite everyone over for a quick run through of what you expect. It will save hurt feelings in the end! Many women wonder if they will really know when labor has begun. There are several ways to tell the difference between real labor and prelabor. Be sure that you talk to your practitioner about knowing the difference.

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

You should do a post w/ everyone's guesses... I'll be so surprised if you go over your due date. I just can't see it happening, but Grace might surprise us!