Thursday, August 18, 2005

Exam

Just thought I should provide an update about a female issue I've been having.

I'm not really sure when I first noticed it, but probably at least a month ago. Anyway, I noticed a lump on my right breast. After a little while, I decided to mention it to Eric and he suggested that I call the doctor immediately. I have decided to switch OBs, so I called the new doctor. I haven't been there yet, but I have my annual exam scheduled for September 12. I called them and they told me the best time to do an exam is after my period and asked where I was in my cycle. I was about 4 days post ovulation, so they told me to wait until after my period and call back if it was still there. I then called my old doctor (who I haven't informed I'm switching yet) and they told me the same thing.

So, I waited. My period ended on Monday and when I was back in town on Wednesday, I called the doctor back and informed them it was still there. They scheduled me for a breast exam this afternoon.

I saw a Nurse Practioner and think I will like this new doctor's office. Since I was due for a PAP, they went ahead and did it today, so I can cancel my other appointment. When she did the exam, she agreed, that I do indeed have a lump. She was very low key and didn't want to get me worked up, but my impression was that it was fairly sizable. She wrote me an order to have an ultrasound on my breast to determine what the lump is made of. She said that I will get the radiological results the same day, but then they will call me to discuss. However, she thinks I will need to see a breast surgeon. She said even if the results of the ultrasound come back fine, if the lump is over a certain size, they like to have it looked at. Since we could both feel mine, she's pretty sure they will refer me on after they get the results of the ultrasound.

She did a good job at downplaying the possibility of cancer. Most lumps are not cancerous and considering my age and no family history of breast cancer, it is very unlikely that this is going to be something serious, but they do want to make sure they check it out. The surgeon will either decide to just keep an eye on it, drain it (if it is a cyst), or do a biopsy.

I called for my ultrasound appointment and am scheduled for Thursday afternoon next week. I'm hoping the results will be good, but it seems like there's a good possibility that I will need to at least see a surgeon to see what they want to do.

I'm not really worked up about this. I think Eric is more worried than I am, but I wouldn't mind if you readers kept me in your prayers. I'll keep you updated.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You sound calm in your blog, but I can imagine how anxious & scared you are feeling. You are in my thoughts & prayers, Jennifer.