Monday, July 11, 2005

GWO Recap

This weekend brought another GWO - Girls Weekend Out. As always I adored getting to catch up with my friends, but managed to find myself less relaxed and refreshed than normal. I think it is due entirely to the fact that I brought Grace along and only had an evening without her. While I think everyone enjoyed spending time with the babes, I was still "on duty" all weekend and didn't really get a chance to fully relax and have no worries. That's ok though because in 3 short months we'll be doing it again in Chicago and we've already decided to not bring the babies along.

Thursday I had a horrendous day at work, so luckily I had plenty to keep me busy until time to leave to pick Danialle up at the airport. Her plane got in at 6:30 p.m. and I was still almost late to get there. After I picked her up, we grabbed some McDonald's quickly and then headed to my house to get the rest of the girls. Erica went straight to my house and was playing with Grace and visiting with Eric when we got in. We packed up my stuff and Danialle's bag into Erica's Tahoe and hit the road. We actually had the thing packed! It didn't seem possible it was for only a weekend. I had a suitcase for me, small suitcase for Grace, her stroller, carseat, the Aerobed, a bag with the Aerobed's sheets and blanket, 2 pillows, a bag of Grace's toys (some blocks, floor blankets, and boppy), a bag of diapers and wipes, Grace's diaper bag, a jug of baby water, and a bag with all of Grace's bottles, formula, and baby food. We drove over to Samara's gave Grace a bath and put her to bed, visited a little and then went to bed ourselves.

Friday, we slept in a little (well, not Samara and Ava). I actually had to go wake Grace up at 8:30 a.m. We just hung out for a little while and then decided to go into Columbus for lunch and some shopping. We couldn't get both carseats and strollers into the Tahoe and still seat 4 adults, so Samara drove separately with Ava. She had to go by the hospital to get some breast pump supplies, so she was going to meet us at the restaurant. We ordered and appetizer and waited for a while. While waiting, Grace had lots of fun playing with this balloon.

After a while we decided to order and then Samara called and had had some problems, so she decided to catch up with us while we were shopping. We browsed Filene's Basement for a bit and then headed to Hobby Lobby to look for a craft project for Saturday. Samara met us at Hobby Lobby and we picked out some stepping stone kits. After Hobby Lobby Samara decided to head home for a nap and the rest of us went to the grocery store for supplies for our at home Mexican dinner. We also picked up a wide variety of Celebrity gossip magazines for our entertainment. When we got home we made our own taco bar and some other Mexican side items. We just hung out the rest of the evening catching up on the celebrity news.

Saturday morning we again slept until 8:30 a.m. (thank you Grace!) Once we got up we were very lazy all day. We worked on our stepping stone project. We used Mosiac glass and some letter stencils and mixed and poured the cement. They actually turned out really well and were fun to make. After that we started getting showers and dressed and ready for our evening out. The Dad's arrived for babysitting duty and we left the house around 5:30 p.m. We went to a trendy/modern Italian restaurant downtown. Our reservation was at 7:00, but they got us in right away. The food was very yummy and we tried to take our time. After dinner we weren't ready to go home yet, so we got the idea to go play a game of Putt Putt. However, we decided to stop at BW3s first for one drink. After that it was dark and Samara couldn't remember where the Putt Putt place was, so we decided just to head home. We got home around 10 p.m. and after just a little time to relax we headed for bed.

Sunday morning Grace decided she'd had enough sleeping in and started chatting around 5:00 a.m. She went back to sleep for a little while, but got up again around 6. I brought her into the guest room to lay down with me and she was quite until 6:20 when the alarm went off. We fed Grace, got our stuff together and headed out. I took Danialle to the airport, Erica headed for home, and poor Samara looked like she could use some more sleep. The goal was supposed to be that Dad would take care of the baby all night so she could enjoy herself and get some sleep, but it didn't quite work out that way (sort of reminds me of my first GWO after Grace). Grace was sleepy in the car, so when we got back to the airport I put her in her crib and went and layed down with Eric. About 20 minutes later Grace decided she'd slept long enough, so I started to get up to go get her. Then, Eric told me stay in bed, he'd take care of her and I could go back to sleep! I slept for 2 hours. We missed church, but we did go to our church softball game later that afternoon.

So, it was basically a good weekend, but I'll have to remember. Next time we have a GWO in a home city where you have access to the baby, make sure Dad gets her for more than just dinner. It's supposed to be Mom's weekend out, not Dad's.

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

I agree it wasn't as relaxing as past events, but it was still a good time.