Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Questions for Doctor

I have a doctor appointment a week from tomorrow. My doctor doesn't seem to volunteer information just because, so I want to come up with some questions for her. I'll write what I have and PLEASE feel free to comment with more I should consider.

First a run down of what I expect to happen. Arrive and wait in the waiting room 20 minutes past my appointment time. Pee in a cup. Get weighed and blood pressure taken. Head into the exam room to wait another 15 minutes. When the doctor comes in, I think she'll use her Doppler to listen for the heartbeat. Then questions.

1. What is the heartrate? I know I could count this out myself, but I seem to have trouble counting over 30 in under 15 seconds.
2. Exercise. I've been getting somewhat of a desire to go back to the gym. I know you can continue exercising when pregnant, but I need to know what is acceptable to begin again after stopping for 4 months. More specifically, any restrictions on weight lifting.
3. What does the doctor think my chances are of feeling the baby before my next appointment? (I know this isn't that important, but I'm curious)
4. Next Ultrasound. Will she perform an ultrasound at 20 weeks? If not, any good reasons? Can I change her mind? What if I agree to pay if insurance doesn't? If still no, does she know where I can go to get one done? I plan to try to point out the other reasons than determining sex to do a 20 week ultrasound, including placement of the placenta, measuring for dates, narrowing down due date.


That's all I've got. Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Kitten said...

1.) Any foods to steer clear of so you don't get more heartburn?
2.) When is the last possible date you can travel safely (I'm thinking for GWO in October)?
3.) As far as the ultrasound goes, pull the m/c excuse in that you are still really nervous and having an ultrasound at 20 weeks would make your stress level decrease significantly. I keep hearing other ladies using this one (trust me, I think it's valid, my god do I) on the blogs and their doctors are seemingly going ahead with complete understanding.
4.) When should you start taking "birthing" classes?
5.) Can your friends touch your belly and make you try on crazy amounts of too cute maternity wear as often as they want without freaking out your kid?