Wednesday, April 30, 2008

More Updates

So, yesterday we did another trial run to the Labor and Delivery department. I was very crampy/tightening etc. on Monday evening. I didn't really time anything, but I did check the clock on the last couple and it was in the 5 minute range, so I decided to just go to bed. I figured if it were the real thing, I'd wake up before I delivered. Overnight was fine (except for 4 trips to the bathroom to pee), but Tuesday I still felt really crampy/contractiony all morning. Once I got settled in at work, I decided to time them starting around 8:50. I spoke to a couple coworkers because they were strong enough that when I'd get one at my desk, I would just close my eyes, rub my belly and breathe slowly until it eased up. If I happened to be talking to someone, I'd have to stop in the middle of the sentence until the worst past. I promised to track things for an hour or so before calling the doctor. They seemed to be about 4-7 minutes apart, with a few coming in around 9 or 10 minutes. I agreed to call the doctor and when I told them I'd had 11 between 9:30 and 10:30, they told me to go to L&D. Everyone at work got all worked up and two girls drove me to my house to drop off my car and grab my hospital bags and then to the hospital. While I was at the house, I kept having them and really had some trouble focusing on what I needed to add to my bag. Eric called again and I told him I was done at home and on my way, so he agreed to finish up at work and meet us there. I checked in, literally had a contraction while they were hooking me up to the monitors and then...the contractions stopped. It was the weirdest thing. I think I was there for about 2 1/2 hours and had maybe 4 contractions total. They also did an internal exam and I was still 2 cm. So with no cervical change and no contractions to speak of, they sent me home. I felt really silly, but the upside is that my Mom didn't miss the birth again.

That leads to the next topic. Because of all this false alarm stuff, etc. and the fact that both me and my Mom would really like her to be present, today she decided to change her flight for the second time and will now be arriving tomorrow night instead of Monday night. That means only 1 more day to stay out of labor, although we do have weekend plans with both Samara's birthday dinner and Ava's 3rd birthday party. Considering Samara is also supposed to be at the birth, it might be better to wait until next week. Like I have any choice in the matter. Anyway, assuming nothing crazy happens tonight or tomorrow morning, my Mom should be her for Luke's birth.

Speaking of...If we make it to the induction, it is scheduled for 6 a.m. on Wednesday. I meant to call the doctors office today to see if I had a time scheduled, but kept getting busy doing other stuff. Late afternoon, I got a call from the hospital pre-registration to see if they could pre-register me for my induction. I asked if they knew when it was scheduled and they shared the time with me. I'm not 100% sure of the procedure, but I do have my 37 week appointment on Friday and assume I'll get all the details then.

So, my countdown, is 1 week until induction, we can practically call it 6 days now. I also have only 3 1/2 work days left. This week has been going quickly, so I assume it will be the weekend before we know it and with only Monday and part of Tuesday to work, it'll be time very soon. I really can't wait.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh boy! This is getting exciting! That's great that your mom was able to change her flight again - better safe than sorry!

So, is Grace getting excited about meeting her baby brother? I bet she's going to be a very helpful big sister! Will someone be updating your blog when the baby arrives or will we have to wait until you're home from the hospital?