Monday, April 21, 2008

Ultrasound Appointment


3D Ultrasound - 35w2d - Luke
Originally uploaded by Jenmomma
First of all, this picture is a 3D picture that we unexpectedly got at today's "36 week" ultrasound. I love going to the "high risk" place because they take so much time with you and the pictures are awesome. We also have a really good 2D face shot if you look at my flickr pics.

So, I will see my doctor at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday to discuss the results, but the tech was able to tell us an estimate on size based on a measurement of the femur, belly, and two head measurements. Currently, according to measurements, Luke is weighing in at 8 pounds 7 ounces! Wow! Granted, she did say there could be up to 1 1/2 pound variance meaning he's likey somewhere between 7 and 10 pounds at the moment. Her guess was right around 8 pounds. He was showing signs of plumpness including the pudgy cheeks, "back fat" and a fat roll behind the knee on his pudgy thighs.

Keeping in mind that babies at this stage gain about 1/2 pound per week, we could still add 1 1/2 to 2 pounds going 3 1/2 more weeks. For a baby weighing between 8 1/2 (on the small side) to 10 1/2 pounds.

We don't know what the doctor is going to suggest, but I wouldn't be surprised if we consider an amnio for lung maturity and move the induction up another week. Or of course, if he's that big, he may come on his own in the next week or two.

I'll update after Wednesday's appointment.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow...how big were you and Eric? Leon was a short fat baby but now he's short and skinny! I can't believe the size of him already but it's possible to have big babies naturally. How big was Grace? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good questions:
- I was 9lb even on my due date.
- Eric was 9lb 14oz (I think a week or two late)
- Grace was 8lb 11oz 6 days early.

I'm still hoping we won't have any problems.

Lisa said...

There's no doubt about it - you & your hubby make big babies! That's so neat that you got an unexpected 3D ultrasound. Great pics! He's a chubby little boy - love those cheeks! Sounds like you'll be meeting your little guy very soon!

Crystal said...

Wow, you and Eric were both big babies. Skip and I were both barely 6 lbs and then I pop out Leon at 7 lbs 12 oz. (I was 2 weeks early, Skip was born on his due date, and Leon was 1 day late)I was shocked! I didn't think he would be that big. The doctor did, but I didn't. Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures. :)