Tuesday, May 06, 2008

37 Weeks & Amnio

Last Friday I had my 37 week doctor check up. No surprises. According to them, I didn't gain weight over the week and a half, so my final doctor check-up weight-gain is 28 pounds. Although, my personal scale shows about 32 pounds. Heartrate was good in the high 140's. Blood pressure normal. No real cervical change from last time. Still at 2cm and this time she said about 60% effaced. She said that I was "inducable" meaning that they would expect my cervix to continue changing with Pitocin. They confirmed a 6 a.m. induction time for Wednesday, May 7th and said they'll break my water and start my Pitocin. Although she warned me that she had just recently had to postpone an induction because the lungs weren't ready. If Luke wasn't ready, she said we'd move the induction to the following week. That bummed me out a little because I really had my heart set on getting this done soon.

The weekend was nice with Mom here and we made it to Samara's birthday dinner and Ava's birthday party. We also got about 10 days to 2 weeks worth of groceries, so we don't have to try to venture out next weekend.

I worked Monday and a half day today. Yesterday kind of stunk because I had my Mom take my car to the dealership for an oil change and to get my air conditioning fixed (I already had purchased the part, so no charge). However, they seemed to feel my car was in desperate need of some maintenance if I plan to keep it for any period of time. I managed to get out of there for just over $500 and a promise to buy 4 new tires in the next couple of weeks (whenever that stimulus check shows up!).

We also had a showing Friday, Monday, and today, so that was a little stressful figuring out how to get Mom out of the house and this weekend we set up the pack-n-play downstairs for a diaper changing/napping station and got the swing out of the basement, so the house is definately more cluttered.

Today my amnio was scheduled for 1 p.m. Mom and Eric came with me. I got the same ultrasound tech as last time and she spent a good 45 minutes looking at the baby again and took more measurements for size. She said his head "isn't too big", however, his belly measurement is off the chart, meaning over the 42 week gestation. She also said his femur measurement was on the big side, but again, not too alarming. This time, her weight estimate has us at 9 pounds 1 ounce, so looks like he slowed down the growth a bit. I'm still skeptical that he's that big already, but I guess we'll see. After she finished and got us some more 3D pictures of his face, the doctor and nurse came in to do the amnio. The doctor said it would feel about like a blood draw. I think he lied. It hurt. Not the worst pain I ever had, but for a couple hours afterwards it was still really sore and achy. Once they got the fluid, they had me rest and monitored the baby for about 45 minutes to an hour. They told me they'd call with the results and took down my cell phone number. We were waiting in the lobby on the elevator and someone came out and said they wanted to see me again. We went back in and they said the results came back. His lungs are mature!

So, the induction is on for tomorrow morning. I'm really excited, although it just kind of hit me that this is our last night with just Grace. I don't expect anyone will update my blog while I'm gone, but I should be home on Friday (barring any complications) and I'll at least get a picture downloaded and the basic stats. Can't believe it's finally here.

2 comments:

Dooneybug said...

Good luck with your delivery!!! I can't wait to see a picture of him!

Lisa said...

Oh, I can't wait to see pics of your little prince! Good luck, Jennifer - my thoughts & prayers are with you. I'm looking forward to checking back on Friday!!!!