Saturday, May 10, 2008

Luke Is Here


Sleepy Baby
Originally uploaded by Jenmomma
Sorry it took a while to get updated, but you know how it is coming home from the hospital and everything. I'm not sure I have time for the complete birthstory right now. I think I'll work on that one next week when most of the visitors are gone.

Short story, I went to get induced as planned on Wednesday. I did get an epidural. He was born at 3:18 p.m. on Wednesday. We were surprised that he exceeded weight estimates and weighed in at a very healthy 10 pounds 8 ounces. Yeah, he was big. He was 22 inches long. I have a feeling we would have had a c-section if the doctor would have thought for a moment he was going to be that large.

It was another difficult delivery. My doctor was prepared for the worst, however, and although we had another case of shoulder dystosia (according to the doctor, the 2nd worst she'd ever had to deliver), he made it out safely and is in perfect condtion. Amazingly though, even though he was so big, I only pushed for about 15 minutes and I think he was stuck for less than 2 minutes. I only had 1 stitch and now 3 days postpartum am much less sore than I remember being with Grace.

We are working on breastfeeding and he latches on like a champ. We'll do a weight check on Monday to be sure he's getting enough, but he seems like he's doing good and he's interested about every 2 hours and seems content when he comes off, so that's good. He's also very calm. He gives plenty of cues when he starts fussing that we usually can get him hooked up with his next meal before he's actually "crying." Although, he despises diaper changes.

Pretty sure my milk is in as there is now a noticable difference in the breast size between the right and left. I think I'll have to get fitted for a special bra with some stuffing to look a little more even.

Again, I'll have to work on a post on the actual labor and delivery because it was a whirlwind and especially the delivery was a bit crazy and not exactly what I planned, (example, they wouldn't let my Mom or Samara stay in the room when I was ready to start pushing). He's gorgeous and looks just like his sister. I'm already in love.

5 comments:

Tomika said...

Congratulations! I was waiting on this post. He does look SO MUCH like Grace when she was that little! And he was a really big baby - I'm very impressed that you were able to push him out so quickly.

Crystal said...

Congratulations!! He was a big baby! WOW...if he was any bigger I wonder if you'd had to have had a c-section. I'm impressed with that big of a baby you had so few stitches (stitch). Hopefully the adjustment is smooth with Grace.

Dooneybug said...

What a gorgeous boy! I'm glad everyone came out of the delivery ok, if not a little traumatized. I bet you'll do just fine with the breastfeeding. Congratulations!

Lisa said...

Luke is precious! Congratulations! I am sorry that the delivery didn't go exactly as planned (neither did my second!) Thank the Lord that even though it was a difficult delivery, you & baby Luke made it through safely & are doing great!

Thank you so much for posting the wonderful news, even though I know it was probably not the first thing on your mind! Take your time with posting the birth story (but don't wait too long because the details become fuzzy after two weeks of being sleep-deprived!) I can't wait to see more pics of that precious baby boy (and the proud big sister!)

Paige said...

Congratulations Jennifer! He's absolutely adorable...
How scary the shoulder dystocia must have been! Thank God for getting you both through it safe and sound.
I can't wait to hear what Big Sis thinks!