Thursday, June 02, 2005

Blah

I thought I'd post this here as well as my diet blog, because I'm pretty sure I've got more readers here, and thus maybe I'll feel more held accountable.

I feel really bad about my body right now. I think it's starting to affect parts of my life. I hate walking by a mirror for the off chance I'll catch a side angle. It's affecting my "romantic" life because I never feel attractive. And unfortunately, when I feel this way, I'm indulging more in bad food rather than doing something about it. I've actually restarted my "diet" several times, but then something happens and I stop.

I know it's possible to do something about it. In 2003 I did Body-For-Life. It was great! I felt awesome. I only lost 9 pounds, but I got fit and dropped from a size 10 to a size 6. I looked great too! I did the 12 week program from February to May and kept it up for the most part until I got pregnant in July 2003. After I lost the baby, I got depressed and didn't do anything to lose the 10 pounds I gained during those 10 weeks. After that I was consumed with trying to get pregnant and by the time I got pregnant with Grace, I had gained another 5 pounds. Now, I'm still 10 pounds heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight.

Here's my motivation. I want to look and feel better about myself. I know once I get going I'll have more energy and feel better in general. I'm running out of time. Once I get pregnant again, I can't call these 10 pounds "baby weight." It's entirely possible that I'll be pregnant again in a year or less (we're planning on starting again next spring), so I want to be sure I get back to where I want to be before that happens. I want to make it a lifestyle so Grace will be used to eating healthy. I don't want to make it hard for her to stay at a reasonable weight growing up or as an adult. Maybe if I start losing, Eric will decide to join me. Sounds like I'm motivated right?

Here's the challenge...time. I definately can find time to exercise, but it will involve either getting up early (5:30 a.m.) which I'm not great at or giving up part of my evenings after Grace is in bed (after 8 p.m.). We have DVR now, so I can't use TV as an excuse. Dinners are hard too, because Grace starts dinner (and the rest of her nighttime routine) at around 6:30 p.m. The key will be to have a plan and start dinner as soon as I get home from work, so we can eat before she does.

Tonight I'm going to plan for next week, so I can get groceries tomorrow evening. We are going to Indiana Saturday and coming back Sunday afternoon, so I won't have time to shop then. I am planning on cooking what I can (chicken, etc) on Sunday's so I'll have less prep time in the evenings. I will keep track of diet and exercise. I'll update my diet blog, but I also bought the Body-For-Life journal and will keep it up daily. It was $25, so that in itself will make me not want to quit. I don't want to waste my money, by stopping on Day 3 and not being able to use it.

So, the diet starts Monday. I'll be taking "before" pictures, weighing and measuring with updates every 4 weeks. Feel free to follow along in my diet blog if you want, but wish me luck and I'll really try to stay on track this time.

7 comments:

Taylor said...

Oh man Jennifer you just wrote the story of my life - to a tee! I have felt the same way lately...just totally UNMOTIVATED. And I can't explain why I feel like this. I am unhappy with the way I look and feel but yet I can't seem to do anything about it. I made a promise to myself this week to get back on the bandwagon. I had been doing so good for so long and then it all just stopped for no apparent reason. I gained 80lbs while pregnant with Tristyn. I have already lost around 65lbs but I still have a long way to go. Maybe we can do this together and help motivate each other!

You were the one who first inspired me to start blogging. I came across your blog on a search through yahoo. I have also heard you talk about your diet blog. Actually today I was thinking of making one for myself. I am planning on posting daily and writing down what I eat and how much I work. I think it will motivate me to stay on track because I will look at everything I put in my mouth and think to myself "do I really want to write this in my diet journal?!" LOL!

Good luck to you! I will be with you 100% of the way because I too, plan to start trying for another baby next spring/summer and I want to get this weight off before then!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Anonymous said...

Could you exercise during your lunch break? Even if you only get a 1/2 hour, you could get a walk in. Take Grace for a walk while you have dinner in the oven. Get a balance ball and some hand weights. Do exercises while watching tv once Grace is in bed. Maybe something fun like buying a belly dancing dvd or even Carmen Electra's fit to strip (I'm sure hubby would like that one! wink, wink).

I've recently started back on my lifestyle diet because we have been trying to get pregnant with no luck for 9 cycles! Plus, like you, I want to be in the best shape possible when I do get pregnant so that I will have a healthier baby.

Just try and fit things in when you can! Every little bit helps.

Kitten said...

Jen, I'm proud of you for getting back into it. Let us know if we can help in any way. I'll comment after everything you write in yoru diet blog if you want. Whatever it takes! Go through the EFL cookbook and pick out everything that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare or freeze stuff on Sunday so you don't get bored mid-week with just chicken.

You'll get there!! I just know it!

Mrs. T said...

I've really been slacking off recently, too. Not completely, but some occassional meals and some gym time. It's so hard when your only time is really the evenings to do everything. I wish I could get up early, too and have the evenings free, but so far it just hasn't worked.

I'm back 100% on Monday, too. I'm going to go some cookbooks, go grocery shopping this weekend and get back in the game, too. We have to motivate each other. It's not only about looking great, but feeling great, too. I'm going to force myself to do something every single night, even if its just a walk or the stepper if its raining.

We are in this together and I know we can all do it. Good luck and we'll be keeping you accountable. hee hee Please feel free to do the same for me, too.

Tomika said...

You can definitely do it! You just have to get and stay motivated. Before I got pregnant, I was down 50 pounds from my highest weight ever so, I know what it feels like to know you need to do something about the way you look and feel. I didn't like to look at myself either. I actually ended up getting a personal trainer for 12 weeks to kick start me - that was in summer 2000. I lost about 12 pounds with her that summer and never looked back. Once you start to lose it, it feels so good!

My current problem is a little different - because I have weighed 215 lbs. before, I am paranoid about every ounce that I gain with this pregnancy. I'm at 26 pounds and 25.5 weeks right now. My working out is good (for 6 months pregnant) but, I could use motivation in the food department. I have the same issue with coming home from work and not having the time to cook. Although I don't have a child right now, my husband and I are very active and always have something to do in the evenings...turns into Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, or Sonic every time! So, maybe you can inspire me to eat a little better even during this pregnancy - I will die if I see 215 lbs again!!

I think the 30 min. walk during lunch would be a good way to start. That way, if you run into a crunch in the evening, at least you've got some type of movement in for the day. Good luck - and I'll be watching you and your new lifestyle!

Jennifer said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. Looks like I have a great blogger support network. I'll keep everyone posted to stay accountable. Monday is the start and I'm ready. I did my meal plans on Thursday night and went to the grocery store after I put Grace to bed tonight. Just traveling this weekend, cooking Sunday night and hopefully will be right on track next week. I'll keep you posted!

Carrie said...

oops... I commented on your other blog.

I said it there, and I'll say it here... you CAN do it!!!

good luck!