Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Grace Ellen Marie

Well, we did it.

Now we are remarkably on Day 3. I'm very tired, but very happy. I'll get my birth story on here later, but for now I just wanted to provide the stats and just a couple of pictures.

The labor went smoothly with a slightly more challenging delivery. Grace was born on Sunday, December 12, 2004 at 5:13 p.m. She weighed 8 pounds, 11 ounces and was 21 inches long. So for our guessing contest, Heather would be the winner being off by 1 day with a guess of 12/13/04 and 2 ounces with a guess of 8lb. 9 oz. She is beautiful and keeps getting prettier by the day.

Our current challenge is feeding. Grace was born with a cleft palate, I'll provide more info on that later, but it means she has a hole in the back of her mouth that makes it very hard to get good suction to nurse. We have been attempting breast feeding, and she latches on well, but doesn't really have great suction, so we don't think she's actually getting much. I've been using a breast pump and pumping and now my milk has come in, so we supplement with a bottle after each feeding attempt to be sure she gets enough to eat. She has to use a special bottle that we can squeeze to help her draw the milk and luckily it works well and she's able to get enough by bottle.

Ok, I heard her wake up upstairs, so I'm going to just post a few pictures and will attempt my birth story tomorrow.

Grace at Birth

Grace & Mommy in Delivery Room

3 Days Old & Sleeping

After the First Bath at Home

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. She is beautiful!

Lisa said...

Congratulations, Jennifer! Welcome to the world, Grace Ellen! Enjoy every precious moment with your little Christmas angel! Turns out that Sunday was a big day for births... my sister-in-law, my best friend's sister, and YOU all delivered beautiful, healthy babies! Have fun adjusting to motherhood (I can't wait to join ya!)

Mrs. T said...

I can't wait to play w/ her in January! She's absolutely adorable!

Meagan said...

Congratulations! I've been following your blog as my own pregnancy has progressed. My due date was just two weeks beyond yours. My little guy wanted out sooner rather than later, though. He came into the world on Saturday, December 11. It certainly seems as though it was a busy baby weekend!

I wish your new family all the best. Congrats, again!

Meagan