Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So Much...

I have so much to write about, but only about 15 minutes, so I'm going to give you a list of topics, I'd like to talk about and then the one that I feel is most important right now.

Topics I Don't Have Time to Discuss Right Now- Last Tuesday (10/3) was my 3 year anniversary of my D&C
- I was asked to join a Task Force at work for the whole zone that could get me some valuable exposure and will look great on a resume
- I was given 2 new accounts at work
- Tuesday (10/3) Grace went to her first dentist appointment
- Friday (10/6) Eric had a Colonoscopy. (He's fine, just some hemmroids)
- The weekend. Visit to the pumpkin farm, pumpking painting, and playing with Ava including pictures.
- I was asked to do an interview/bio for The Cancer Blog by a fellow blogger. (Still want to do it, haven't had time to answer the questions)

Here's what I do want to talk about. One of my friends and coworkers, Kim, also had a colonoscopy on Friday. We joked because she and Eric had the same doctor and were only a couple hours apart. Monday, I found out that she is not fine. They found a large tumor and she has colong cancer. This breaks my heart as she is a 43 year old single mother. Her youngest is 2 1/2 and was due only a week from when my first baby was due. She babysits for Grace on occasion and is a wonderful person. She's trying to be strong, but she worries. They did more tests, and what we know so far, is that the tumor was large and probably had been there for a couple of years. She is getting a port this week and will start chemo next week. She'll do 5 weeks (possibly continuously), then wait 8 weeks and have surgery to remove it. During her CT, they also saw 4 small spots on her liver, but the doctor isn't convinced that those spots are cancer. For her sake, I certainly hope they aren't. I'm just so sad for her, but I keep trying to give her encouragement and offering to be support for her in whatever way she needs it. I hate that I know so many people around me dealing with this, but if my experience can be a source of strength or hope for one of them, it was worth it. Kim is going to have a hard fight, but when she gets through it, she will be stronger, more compassionate, and really appreciate the best parts of life. I look forward to her transformation. I hope it is filled with as little pain and fear as possible. Please keep Kim in your prayers.

No comments: