Wednesday, May 03, 2006

GWO - Inked


101_0133
Originally uploaded by Jenmomma.
I'm a little slow to post, but last weekend was another GWO weekend. It was very refreshing and I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Friday
Because I had class Thursday night, I didn't drive over until Friday morning. I got to Erica's right around 11:30 a.m. and as soon as I dropped off my bag, we jumped back in the car and drove to our hometown and had lunch at the China Inn. Yummy! After lunch, we picked up some ice cream at a local place and drove around looking for a house that Danialle may rent this summer. Around 2 p.m. we headed over to a local factory for the girls' Grandpa's retirement party. It was kind of fun because I worked there for 2 summers and both my parents worked there until they moved, so I knew alot of people and got to catch up. We did get a bit of bad news though. The girls' great-grandpa had to be taken to the hospital, where they found a tumor on his brain and that he was in renal failure. After some thought, they decided they didn't really want to watch him dying at the hospital, so we decided to keep our appointments and get tattoos.


Mine is the one in the picture. It is a Chinese symbol that means "survivor." I had him make it in pink for breast cancer awareness. He added the shading around the symbol to make it stand out a little more. Danialle went first and got three small stars in blue, I went second, and then Erica got a symbol that means sisterhood. I won't lie, it hurt, but it was bearable and totally worth it. I'm happy because I got something that has some meaning to it. It's on my lower back. It's a great location because it's easy to cover, you can't see it even if my shirt raises up in my work dress pants, but in lower rise jeans it would be visable. After the tattoos, we headed back to the girls' grandparent's house to visit with the family that was there for the retirement party and to see the great-grandpa. The evening helped ease D & E's minds, as it turns out that while he doesn't have much longer, he wasn't going to be leaving that soon and was still in good spirits. They also decided to transfer him from the local hospital to the hospital in the town that Erica lives. With that news we decided that we would stop by on Saturday to visit.

Saturday
We slept in until about 8:30 a.m. and then decided to head to IHOP for breakfast. After breakfast we spent a good deal of time wandering around Target and then headed to PetSmart. After that we headed to the hospital. There was a limited amount of space, so while D & E were in visiting their Great-Grandpa, I sat in the waiting room and had a nice conversation with Danialle's mom. Once they finished we headed back to Erica's where Heather was waiting for us. We made a healthy lunch of sandwiches, pasta salad, and fruit and decided to play Phase 10. After Phase 10, we started dominos and a few hands in, stopped to make pizzas. We played some more dominos, and finally around 10:30 decided to call it quits. Then we watched Memoirs of a Geisha and then hit the sack.

Sunday
Once we all woke up, we ate a light breakfast and said our goodbyes. I got home around 1:30 p.m. and then did the laundry, grocery shopping, paid bills, and did a little house cleaning. Back to the real world.

Anyway, that's my recap. I need to go do some homework, but later this week I need to update on my Herceptin appointment from today. I spoke with the doctor and may be making some changes to my treatment plan.

No comments: