Friday, November 30, 2007

Turkey, Stiches, Shopping, Potty Training, and Baby Update

I hate when I don't update for a while and then I feel like there's a ton to catch up on. Guess I better start now.

First of all, a Thanksgiving recap. We continued our 4 year tradition of having Thanksgiving with Will & Samara and family. I spent most of Wednesday evening cooking and then Thursday we got there around 10 a.m. Samara and I did a little more prep work while the turkey was cooking. We expected to eat around 1 p.m.

However, we had to take a detour to the emergency room right before we were ready to mash the potatoes. The girls have been going potty like champs and during one of Grace's visits, she decided to be a daredevil and jump from the stool in front of the toliet to the stool in front of the sink. She missed. Her head hit the vanity resulting in a "gaping" gash right between the eyebrows. There was blood and tears, and when I looked closer at the source of the blood, I just saw that there appeared to be a hole in the middle of Grace's head. Stiches were needed. We drove to the ER and luckily got in and out in under 2 hours complete with 3 stitches to the head. Good thing it didn't take much longer, cause I was getting hungry! Grace was very brave. She stopped crying before we got into the car and only cried at the hospital when we had to hold her down to let the doctor stick a needle into her head. Yeah, I might want to cry too.

After our dinner, Eric went home, because he works the Friday after T-Day. Grace and I spent the night. Samara, Clara and I got up at 4:00 a.m. to pick up Danialle (she drove over and stayed at my house late on Thursday) for some shopping. Will was off work so he watched Grace and Ava all day. Samara, Danialle and I shopped until about 4 p.m. I was very proud of myself for my first Christmas shopping experience without a credit card. Except for food, I only spent $5 on an item that was not a Christmas present.

Saturday, we put up the tree and then dropped Grace off with a sitter while we went to Ginji's (a Japanese Steakhouse) to celebrate Eric's birthday. Will and Samara's babysitter fell through, so they brought both girls, but they were perfect angels. I love Ginji's. That was about it for Thanksgiving weekend.

I did want to give a potty training update. Grace is doing awesome. She pretty much only wears underwear now. Occassionally, daycare will send home clothes because of an accident, but she's very good at telling us when she needs to go and doesn't even have any issues with going #2. She'll tell us she needs to go and then sit there and push it out. I'm so proud. At school they don't even use a diaper at naptime (I haven't been that brave at home yet). I'm still putting her in pull-ups overnight because she never wakes up dry. I also sometimes will use a pull-up on the weekend if we're going to be in the car alot or when I take her to the nursery at church. That may change this weekend though. Last week she told me she had to go while we were grocery shopping (she was in a pull-up) and I got her to the bathroom in time. I think she kept her pull-up dry all day.

Lastly, a baby update. I know I haven't been updating alot. A couple key highlights:
- I think I'm past the icky feelings, but only if I don't get hungry. Mornings can still be tough, so if I feel bad when I wake up, I try to go eat something right away and I'll feel better. Also, if I'm late for lunch, I start feeling sick. Food helps though and I can still eat anything I want and have no weird cravings. If anything I have anti-cravings. I don't ever crave sweets and my old favorite Chipotle hardly ever enters my mind. However, I can eat those things with no problem, just not craving them.
- I'm showing. Still no strangers have commented, but people I know and haven't seen for a while, or people I know and haven't told I'm pregnant have commented. For example, 2 weeks ago my pastor asked me if I was pregnant. I ran into one of Grace's old daycare teachers (haven't seen her in at least a year) and she asked me, plus someone at work that I don't really ever work with asked. I can't fit in any of my non-maternity pants and I mostly am wearing maternity shirts too. I don't mind, it's looking more pregnant belly and less fat.
- I rented a doppler. Can't remember if I mentioned that. I rented it about 2 weeks ago, just before my last doctor's appointment. I'm sending it back after a month. It was cheap and I like to listen, so I thought I'd do it again. Different thing this time is that I hear alot more movement than when I listened to Grace. Maybe this baby is more active?
- My doctor's appointment was fine. All normal stuff. I have gained about 5 pounds. Baby's heart rate was 151. She told me I could get a prescription for my headaches' if needed (and it has been since then). Next appointment is December 19th. At that appointment she'll write me a prescription for an ultrasound. They are sending me for a level 2 ultrasound so they can take a closer look to see if this baby has a cleft. We should also be able to find out the sex. Not sure I can get it scheduled before Christmas, but hopefully we'll have it done before my trip to Iowa in January.
- Lastly, I'm pretty sure I feel movement already. I kind of thought I was feeling "flutters" a couple weeks ago, but it just seemed to early. Then at my doctor's appointment, Dr. B asked me if I was feeling anything yet. I asked if it was too early and she said not necessarily. So I've been paying attention and I think it is. I wasn't sure with Grace until it was definate poking or kicking. I kind of missed the "flutter" stage. This time I think I am more in tune with my body. With Grace I felt something for sure by 16 weeks. I'll be 15 weeks tomorrow and today I've been feeling all kinds of weird flip and rolling movements down there. I don't think I have that much gas. Makes me wonder if I'm right about this baby being more active. Guess that'll be fun in about 4 months.

Ok, I've got other stuff to do. I think I'll do my next belly picture at 16 weeks and try to update again then. Hopefully, we'll figure out the daycare situation soon. I'm just praying for the right in home care situation to drop in our laps, because I don't know how we can afford 2 at the daycare center. Sigh.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Sounds like you had a very nice Thanksgiving with friends, minus the trip to the emergency room! What a little daredevil you got on your hands! Hooray for Grace being out of diapers!!! Send some inspiration this way (I've given up with Gabrielle for awhile!) I'm so happy that your pregnancy is going very well for you. I love your little updates about the baby. Enjoy all those little flutterings before they turn into forceful kicks & jabs!

Paige said...

Glad to hear the pregnancy is going well.
And hurray for Grace on being potty trained! I didn't have the guts to try and do it while pregnant. You're awesome for making sure you won't have two in diapers! :)
I so wish we lived closer to each other. I would LOVE to watch Grace and the new baby along with Ellie and Josie. I really miss teaching and having all those kids and I know Ellie and Grace would have a blast together!