Saturday, August 09, 2008

Three Months

I've got pictures to upload, but the camera's downstairs and I don't feel like going to get it. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, I wanted to give a three month update on Luke. CANNOT believe he's already three months old. He's so awesome.

From "What To Expect the The First Year" here are the milestones we've reached:
Should be Able to:
- On stomach, lift head up 45 degrees
- Follow an object in an arc about 6 inches above the face past the midline

Will probably be able to:
- Laugh out Loud (he makes a noise with his huge open mouth smiles, but it's not really a true "laugh" or giggle
- On stomach, lift head up 90 degrees
- Bring both hands together (he can even shove them into his mouth)
- Smile spontaneously (today he gave me a cute smile when I asked if he pooped his pants. Little stinker.)
- Follow an object in an arc about 6 inches above the face for 180 degrees

May possibly be able to:
- Hold head steady when upright
- On stomach, raise chest, supported by arms (just for a second at a time)

May even be able to:
- Bear some weight on legs when held upright
- Reach for an object (he's started trying to bat at toys)
- Turn in the direction of a voice, particularly mommy's
- Say ah-goo or similar vowel-consonant combination (he's very vocal compared to Grace at his age)

Everything is going so well with him. He's gotten into a good routine at Amy's and has more good days than bad. I wish he'd nap a little better for her. He usually takes 3 one-hour naps per day. We're still nursing and it's wonderful. Pumping at work can be a pain. Especially when I'm really busy or have meetings, but I do the best I can. We've got a decent stash in the freezer (about 10 bottles) so even if I miss one pumping at work (has happened twice), we've still got enough. Still no formula for him except for those couple ounce bottles when he was jaundiced.

I think he's really growing. Some of his 3-6 month clothes are getting tight. No official weigh-in, but I think he's between 16 and 17 pounds. He's lost a ton of his baby hair, so I can't wait to see it come back in. He's also very strong, today he actually did a mini-sit up. I was holding him in front of me with his feet at my belly and head in my hands elevated about 45 degrees. He managed to get into a sitting position without holding onto anything.

Sleeping still going ok. I need to get tough and put him back in his crib after he eats over night, but I have to admit, I enjoy cuddling with him. I do on occasion though, but he doesn't seem to sleep as well the second half of the night. Still thankful that I put him to bed awake in his crib. It usually takes him about 10 minutes to fall asleep. Sometimes he fusses and I go and help him with his pacifier or just stroke his face, but he rarely cries and never so much that I need to pick him up.

During his awake times, Luke's pretty happy too. He likes watching Grace (and she loves showing off for him), he really enjoys playing on the floor or couch if you are interacting with him close by. He doesn't have to be held constantly, but if you aren't holding him, he still wants to be close to the action and be able to see what you are doing. He smiles, coos, and laughs alot (as long as you are interacting with him). He likes watching moving things too like his crib mobile, the moving part on the baby swing, ceiling fans, etc. He also is intrigued by the mirror and loves his bathtime.

He's such a sweet boy and I'm a little sad that his newborn-ness is gone. I know he'll be running around after his big sister in the blink of an eye.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Do you have our new phone number? I think I sent you a card with the new one when we moved. I have been trying to call you, but I don't know if I have the right phone number. I had some questions I wanted to ask you etc. about your honeymoon. My best friend is getting married next October and wants to go to Hawaii and I was wanting to ask you some questions about it. If you have our new number, give me a call or email me or something and let me have yours. :)