Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Crying?

So, any advice on what to do with a baby that cries when you aren't holding him? This even occurs at night. We have been sleeping most nights with Luke in bed with me as he wants to be held. When I put him down in the cosleeper, he wakes and fusses about every 5 to 10 minutes. When I put him in bed next to me we can sleep for about 3 hours (as long as I don't want to move or roll over).

During the day, he cries if I try to put him in the swing or bouncy seat when awake after just a couple of minutes (I can get about 1/2 way through a shower). If he falls asleep and I put him down he'll sleep for a short time, but not for a long time. He doesn't mind laying on a blanket on the floor (either on his back or belly), but again just for a few minutes at a time.

If I do put him in the swing or bouncy seat and he gets tired of it, he will scream bloody murder, but as soon as I pick him up, he completely stops crying. He just likes to be held. It's not such a big deal right now when I'm home, but I don't know what this will mean for Amy when I go back to work. She'll be watching Grace, a 2 year old, her 20 month old, and my baby. She can't very well hold Luke all day and I've got to get him to nap while laying in a pack'n'play or crib.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Dooneybug said...

Do you swaddle? Neither of my kids enjoyed being swaddled. They'd scream and cry if swaddled and then if we un-swaddled them, they'd be fine. Not that that's his issue, maybe he wants to be swaddled?

I feel for you. My second child is huge on being held, it's frustrating when trying to care for another child. Even at 9 months she still is like that. I don't go out with the both of them by myself often because of it. Today I went to Carter's and she sat in the stroller for about 5 minutes before she was DONE and started a screaming fit so I had to pick her up. Then she instantly stops crying. AHHHH!

Your little guy is still young though, maybe give him a few weeks and he'll grow out of it.

Lisa said...

I'd try the swaddling like Dooneybug said (my kids didn't care too much for it, but I heard that it works for some.)

Have you tried him in a sling during the day? Hopefully he'll grow out of this stage soon before Amy starts watching him.

Other than that, I have no advice to give. Sorry! Just wanted to say hello! Hang in there!

Jennifer said...

He loves his hands and arms, so swaddling doesn't really work because he gets out of it really easy. I have been using the sling during the day and it works ok, but it's still a little awkward to try to get anything done (example I got a call at 11:00 a.m. that we had a showing at 2 p.m. and I had to attempt to clean with a 12 pound baby strapped to me).

Hopefully he'll grow out of it soon. Good news was that he did sleep in the cosleeper last night from 10:45 p.m. to 2:45 a.m. (4 hours uninterrupted sleep for mama). He was only awake until 3 a.m. for his snack and then slept by me until 6 a.m. I did attempt to put him back in the cosleeper, but he wasn't interested in sleeping there.

Crystal said...

I know we had problems with Leon sleeping on his back. I couldn't get anything done around the house at all. He hated the sling, even though we kept it and will try it for this baby. I know I'd just get him asleep and put down in the evenings and I'd start washing bottles or something and about 10-15 minutes later he would scream his head off. I finally ended up letting him sleep on his belly which I know is a big no no but it was the only way I could get any sleep and the only way he got decent sleep. The pediatrician we had at the time said that from a mother's perspective, that I had to do what I had to do, but from a doctor's perspective, they are suppose to sleep on their side or back. Leon only would sleep on his belly and still does. I tried it during a nap first so I could monitor him for a while before doing it at night. He always slept in the bassinet right next to our bed until about 5 weeks and then we moved him to the crib.

Paige said...

You might also ask you doctor about reflux. Josie cried and cried unless she was being held too. At two months old, our doctor finally suggested we try reflux medicine and she became a whole new baby! We realized that she stopped crying when held because we held her in a more upright position which didn't let the acid come back up and hurt her as much. Whenever she was laying flat, it hurt...so she would cry. We never thought of reflux before that because she rarely vomited and I thought all babies with reflux vomited also. We found out that there can actually be no other signs other than excessive crying...
Just something to think about.

Hope you get some sleep soon! :)