Sunday, September 16, 2007

Three Happy Results

I promise to update on vacation to Hawaii as soon as I get pictures downloaded, in the mean time...

1. When I got home, I checked my grade in Organic Chemistry 2 and manged to get an "A". Yay!
2. I checked the mail when I got home and had my mammogram results. "Normal." This is good because...
3. I'm pregnant.

Yes, that's right, I'm a bit shocked, so let me give you the back story. As I previously mentioned, I got my IUD removed on August 1st. When I started my cycle on August 18th, Eric and I discussed going ahead and starting to try this month. We had been shooting for starting during our Hawaii trip, but we knew that I'd already be past the prime time by the time we left. So we discussed trying before Hawaii. The only downside was the fact that I was going to be getting the MRI, Mammogram, and Chest X-Ray right before leaving. So I did some research about the effects during early pregnancy (just in case). What I found was that MRI's have not been found to have any negative effects on pregnancy (they don't use radiation). The amount of radiation from a chest x-ray and mammogram is approximately .21 mGy. The amount of radiation shown to cause effects in a pregnancy is 50 mGy (my procedure times 250). Also, radiation is most harmful between 8 and 25 weeks gestation. At most when I had the tests done, I was 3 weeks pregnant, so we took the chance, assuming it would take a couple months anyway.

Fast forward to our Hawaii trip. I knew to expect my period on Friday. I had charted this cycle and knew when I ovulated and even took my thermometer with me. On Friday morning my temperature was still up, but we got up really early that day and then began our trip home. We flew overnight, so Saturday morning I awoke on the plane and didn't get to temp. After coming home and taking a nap, I started obsessing about taking a test on Sunday morning. I knew I would think about it until morning, so I decided to go ahead and test that afternoon, and when it was negative would be able to stop thinking about it for a few days. Imagine my shock as I watched the color move across the test window and the plus sign immediately appear.

I got Grace up from her nap and found my Mom had went to the grocery store. Eric was napping on the couch and I was going to wake him up, but then I heard the garage door, so I waited. He slept for 2 more hours! Finally after he woke up and Mom was in the kitchen, I told him I had a surpise. "I'm pregnant." He was very surprised but very happy. He then told me I had to go tell my Mom. I told her and she was very excited too. We called my Dad in China and told him and I called my girlfriends and told them (except for Samara, I made plans to see her today, so I could tell her in person.)

Wow! I'm still a little shocked. I never expected it to happen this fast, but I thank God for allowing this to happen. We didn't know if I would be able to have babies after chemo and then there's the fact that I lost an ovary a couple months ago. We truely are blessed.

I'll try to update a bit more frequently now, but for now, that's the news!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Congrats on your A in Organic Chemistry 2, your normal mammogram results & your PREGNANCY! Oh, Sweetie, I am so incredibly happy for you!!!! I know you have wanted this for so long. Finally your time as come. I can only imagine how shocked you were when you saw that plus sign! What an absolute blessing!

P.S. Can't wait to read about Hawaii & see your pics!

Paige said...

Wow! Congratulations!!! I had a feeling it was going to happen quickly for you, but FIRST TRY? That's awesome!!! What a blessing :) I can't wait for more updates!

Crystal said...

Congratulations!! I can't wait to hear about the Hawaii trip and all the updates. I'm so excited for you guys!

Tomika said...

Congratulations! This is awesome. I'm very excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!! I am so happy for you guys!!! After everthing you have went through you are a true inspiration. Your daughter and little one are very lucky to have such a strong woman for a mother.